1982 OUTRAGE 18 Anchor Locker Drain

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
KARLOW

1982 OUTRAGE 18 Anchor Locker Drain

Postby KARLOW » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:41 pm

My [1982 OUTRAGE 18] boat does not have a drain. The locker fills up in the rain when on the trailer.

I need to add [a drain to the anchor locker of an OUTRAGE 18]. How long is the drain tube?

[Seeks a image that will show the location of the anchor locker drain in a 1982 OUTRAGE 18 both from the inboard and outboard side of the hull.]

jimh

Re: 1982 OUTRAGE 18 Anchor Locker Drain

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm

In order for a drain to be useful in the anchor locker of an OUTRAGE 18, there are three basic requirements that will influence the location:

--the inlet to the drain must be as close as possible to the lowest point in the anchor locker so the drain will remove most of the water;

--the drain inlet should be at the rear of the anchor locker so water will tend to flow there when the bow rises; and,

--the outlet of the drain must be lower than the inlet so the water will drain easily to the sea.

In addition to those basic requirements, the shape of the walls of the anchor locker and the shape of the hull should be roughly parallel walls at both ends of the path in order that the drain tube can be easily flared and sealed at both ends.

The outlet of the drain is usually shielded by a clam shell vent cover that protects the leading edge of the drain. In this way waves and spray will be prevented from entering the drain.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Here is an overhead view from an image posted to an earlier discussion which shows the anchor locker drain inlet location:

outrage18AnchorLockerOverheadView.jpg
Fig. 1. Overhead view of an anchor locker from a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 showing the location of the drain inlet.
outrage18AnchorLockerOverheadView.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

KARLOW

Postby KARLOW » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 am

That can work.The finder PU is on the the other side. About how long is the tube?
I just placed an order for the calm shell.
I made a tube a few days ago. Its going to rain this weekend so it could be
a good time to work on the boat! Do you have a pic of the outside?
I need to drain and clear the locker, dill a hole and see how dry it is in there.
If its wet, I will be stuck with it dying out for weeks. On the other hand, there were BFT caught within 10 mile of shore last week! I can't go fishing with a hole in my boat. Then again with the rain and wind we could be done with tuna this year! That is settled, I should have gone fishing last Sat!