27 OFFSHORE Replacement Lamp for Docking Light

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JanaSea27OS

27 OFFSHORE Replacement Lamp for Docking Light

Postby JanaSea27OS » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello, first time post. Thank you for such a great forum, I have learned so much already.

I have a 1991 27 Offshore Walkaround that, as far as I know, has the original set of docking light lamps mounted in the hull.
I have looked at several pictures of these boats on this site and in all [the docking light lamps are] black however on my 27 OFFSHORE the lamps are white. Not sure if this indicates an aftermarket.

The shroud [bezels or surrounds] covering the lamps has become cracked, and I would like to replace the bezels as well as the lamps, if possible.
I have not been able to locate a source that even looks close to the size and configuration of the bezels on my 27 OFFSHORE boat.

What is a source for these docking light lamps?

How are the docking light lamps replaced? To get the lamps out [of the hull] looks like a problem since access is only from the exterior.

Thanks in advance.

jimh

Re: 27 OFFSHORE Replacement Lamp for Docking Light

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:32 am

I suggest you call Boston Whaler customer support for advice on locating a source of a replacement lamp and bezel for the docking lights. You will need a very specific vendor's lamp if the re-fit into the hull is going to be a simple replacement.

JanaSea27OS

Postby JanaSea27OS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for the reply and a great forum. I will check with them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm

If you need to get the replacement lamp under a Boston Whaler part number, a very good Boston Whaler dealer for ordering obscure parts will be Twin Cities Marine in Wisconsin.

If you can get the replacement lamp under an OEM manufacturer's part number, you can search for the best distributor or retailer.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 pm

OFF-TOPIC: I suggest you contribute more information about your 1992 27 OFFSHORE boat, particularly how it is powered and what sort of performance you are getting. That would be a good topic for a thread in the PERFORMANCE forum. I am interesting in learning about your boat's ride and performance characteristics. I have often admired the lines of the c.1992 27 OFFSHORE. They are rare models in the Great Lakes.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 am

I used to own a 27 OFFSHORE, and I had the same problem: cracked and missing lamp in one socket. Those lamps [were] made by Morse. Morse is no longer in business but it was bought by Aquapower--and I am not sure if they are in business either.

Your best [source for a replacement lamp will be] eBay.

Search using Google.com with the terms "Morse or Aquapower docking light."

These Morse docking lamps pop-up every once a while. I was able to find brand new leftover pair for under $100. I still have one insert lamp that I had as spare. If you need it let me know.

Access is from exterior. Remove eight screws and gently pry out the lamp. There may be gasket sealant to hold the lamp in place, so work gently until the lamp free to come out. Once the lamp is out, the electrical wiring is very simple to disconnect because the connection is made with a plug.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:03 am

VZE--good information; thanks.

Here is a vendor (whose prices on other products seems to be very good in my experience) selling Aquapower water-tight docking lamps in a paired set for $360:

https://www.go2marine.com/product/86776 ... ights.html

That looks like a reasonable price, particularly in comparison to a similar single lamp offered for sale on Amazon for $59,135 (but free shipping).

The vendor notes that these lamps are:
The Morse, Teleflex / Sierra Water-Tight Docking Lights by Aquapower. Same design for 50 years, this is the original eyeball docking light.
If Boston Whaler used these lamps, then these Aquapower lamps should be direct replacements. However, in the illustration, there is no connector shown on the lamp wiring. If Boston Whaler used a connector, you will need to refit a new connector.

If you follow the link on the vendor's website "more information," you get to this document:
https://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/sierra/docklt.pdf

The lamp housing is available in black or white, in 12 or 24-Volt, and in pairs or single lamp; the bezel and lamp fixture are available as separate parts. There is also a caution: "New-style housing will fit existing cut-out with only slight modification."

JanaSea27OS

Postby JanaSea27OS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you Jim and VZE, your experience and help are greatly appreciated.

The Aquapower (Morse) water-tight docking lamps 95002 look like what I need. The dimensions posted on go2marine look right. Yes, the Morse 95002 in 12 volt is available on Ebay but without the bezel so I may stick with Go2. Nice to know there are still parts with a 50 year lifespan. Thanks for the offer of the spare, I will replace the whole ( bezel and lamp fixture) and see how it all comes apart and goes together. I am not sure what they mean by slight modification but we will find out. They have not worked for a year so I am looking forward to the light!

OFF-TOPIC: Jim,I would be happy to contribute information about the power and performance of my 1992 27 OFFSHORE (PERFORMANCE forum). Bare with me, my computer skills, typing and forum understanding are entry level but willing and able to learn.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 am

Since you dont know if lights work I would check first if theres a power coming to the socket and if not try to fix that first before plunging money for new pair.Slight modification they refer to is probably that new lights wont have plug ( only naked wires ) so you will have to cut old ones and install on new pair so its plug and play like old set up.
When i bought my 27 offshore she had traditional red decals - white canvas combo. I decided to go with black-white theme so changed decals,canvas ,inspection plates and few more things to black. So I also spray painted those Morse docking lights to black as well. Boat looked so sharp with this black-white combo it was incredible and much better than factory set up IMHO.
I had hull no 7 and think only 197 were made .If you need new canvas beileve it or not Mills still has pattern and can make you one .Sue from Twin Cities can get you better deal than if you call Mills directly.

JanaSea27OS

Postby JanaSea27OS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Good advice. I checked the wiring and found problems at the switch so thanks for the reminder.
I got the lights out after some extra effort. Apparently a previous owner decided to use 5200 to adhere and seal around the bezel and light! It looks like there is some water in the light itself so it will need replacement.

This OFFSHORE has the traditional red decals and blue canvas. The Black-white theme sounds admirable, it would also match up well with the rub rail. Maybe in the future if i get ambitious I will start doing more cosmetic upgrades. Its pretty amazing how the boat just attracts the attention of people at the dock and on the water. There is something about the lines and design of this boat that just are eye catching.

Yes, I think you are correct on the number made. They are very rare on the west coast. How did you determine the hull Number?

Thanks for the information on canvas. Yes I think new canvas is likely in the future and thats a great reference.