1995 OUTRAGE 24: Removing Large T-Top

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
NLA01

1995 OUTRAGE 24: Removing Large T-Top

Postby NLA01 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am

I have a 1995 Outrage 24 with a very large aftermarket T-Top the previous owner installed. I want to remove the T-Top and put a console grab rail in the OEM style that goes over the windshield.

I need ideas of how to remove this T-Top. It is custom built and will need to be lifted straight up before it gets clear of the sides of the console. There are braces that attach to the side of the console that come from the top and then it is attached to the floor and front of the console.. I do not want to spend money removing it, so I am trying to come up with a way to remove it in my driveway, short of cutting it up on the boat and scrapping it. Someone may want a T-Top like this. It cost the original owner $4,500 to have made. If I cut the side braces off I could probably lay it down forward and then figure out how to get it off the boat--maybe. It is big and looks very heavy.

Where can I find a c.1995 Outrage 24 center console OEM rail?

If you own a 24 Outrage and want a T-Top and live in the Houston or Galveston area, I have one I am trying to get rid of. I have the original Mills Bimini and front dodger frame and canvas from when the boat was new.
Thanks for any help
Archie

jimh

Re: 1995 OUTRAGE 24: Removing Large T-Top

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 am

Do you have any tall trees with stout branches that overhang your driveway?

Can you partially disassembly the T-Top upper deck or canvas from the frame?

Is there any electrical wiring running through the tubular frame members that needs to be removed before the top can be removed?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 am

Can you post or email me a photo so I can refine my DIY removal ideas
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm

I can probably send pictures to your email this evening. I am not sure how to post pictures on here. [Instructions for posting images are not provided in the boating areas. See the article in the INTRODUCTION area for information on how to add images to your posts--jimh]

There are no tall trees to use. There is no real way to partially disassemble it since it is a bunch of aluminum tubing going every which way. The top is one piece with the frame. They really over built this top. It is not a basic top. It probably could support a car on it. The wiring is all disconnected and I will pull it thru before removing it. There is nothing in the electronics box which is 7 feet off the deck which makes it useless to uses with electronics. Last owner must had been a NBA player. I am 5' 10"

I have been scratching my head trying to figure this out. Really don't want to spend $200 on a crate to pull it. Nor chop it up.
Thanks
Archie

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 pm

I think I'd just sell the boat and get something more to your liking. You're going to have a lot of holes to patch, and I think your boat is more desirable with the T-top. The only reason most people would not want a T-top is to fit under a low bridge. As far as electronics in the overhead box-fogeddaboutit. You can't read the displays when rocking or running. I just used it for storage.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:02 am

Picture of the 1995 Outrage 24'
Attachments
boat 12.jpeg
boat 12.jpeg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
boat 11.jpeg
boat 11.jpeg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 10110 times

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am

No matter what I must remove the T-Top to recore the deck under the console, Plus I need to remove the tank deck to replace the tank. This required moving the console forward. (The tank deck I recored with marine grade fir and epoxy resin and glass two summers ago). All of this would be much easier with the t top removed. Whether I put the t-top back on is to be determined. I own the original MIlls Bimini. The boat came without a t-top new. I really like to boat but have mixed feeling about the t-top.

As a reference all fishing guides in the Galveston area who own 1980s 25 Outrages (which is proabably most) all do not have a t-top because they get in the way of clients fishing and casting. T-top is replaced with sunscreen.

So removing the Top is my only option.

I have restored three Whalers and have sold them over the last 2 decades, 1977 Montauk, 1984 22' Cuddy which I rebuilt as a Outrage with original super console and last was a 1978 Low pro 19' converted from an Outrage. I love working on old Whalers and am comfortable doing gelcoat and fiberglass. I bought this boat as a project a few years back, re-powered and have been slowly dumping money into. When I go the boat it had set up in the sun and not moved for 7 years. I wish I was joking but it set in the same spot not moved for that long. I almost few like I rescued the boat.

Thanks for the help
Archie

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 am

Archie -

To gain access to the cover, you need access the screws under the console.

Build a platform that spans the width of the cover that is 12' tall. Jack the console and t-top up and then slide the platform underneath. This would give you clearance to remove the cover.

If it were me, I would derig, take it to a yard and have them use a forklift to lift it off and out.

BTW - That is a really nice t-top.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:55 pm

Wow, that is a REALLY nice T-top! You'll only know how much you really miss it when you're sitting baking in the sun and have no shelter.

I would do like a previous poster said, take it somewhere and have them lift it off with a forklift. I doubt it would be that costly to lift off and store while you do your work. To destroy it would be criminal.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:17 pm

If you hate the T-Top, you would be farther ahead to sell the boat and buy another one like it without the T-Top. The T-Top will have significant value to another buyer. The cost of that T-Top was probably $10,000. It is worth more on the boat than off the boat, with your trying to sell it.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for the comments. Point taken. So lets say I keep the top, and I leave it attached to the console but detach the console and t-top from the deck and lift it all up to access the decks underneath. This would mean the T-TOP is still attached to the console and is one piece.

Is this a possibility? I cant even imagine how much the top and the console together would weigh. I could lean it forward maybe to get the rear deck and lean it back wards to get the front deck.

Has anyone even done this or am I asking for trouble with the weight and it not being attached to the deck. (like one a windy day.)

It still would be better to get the whole t-top off.

Phil T, Do you mean a support from the ground to the T-top 12 feet high bracing?

I live in a boating community where price is sky high to do a forklift and storage fee. I would be better off renting something to get it off and that is probably around $250 -$300

Selling the boat is not an option at this point. Maybe after the all repairs are done. It probably would have a higher value with the top on it for sure.

Just trying to figure this first step out and have not had any luck.
Archie

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 am

Archie--your situation reminds me of the old humorous saying:

Q: How many psychoanalysts does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: It only takes one, but the lightbulb has to really want to change.

Applying this to your situation, you can get that T-Top removed, but you are going to have to REALLY WANT to remove it.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 am

Jim, hahaha that is perfect!

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 pm

I would not touch that. That is a gorgeously done T-top and it is even powder coated.

You can see that [whoever] made it followed the curves of the boat, and it is custom made--not some off-the-shelf one-size-fits-all.

Your boat is so much better with it than without it.

Do the right thing: remove it; store it; fix the boat; put it back; and have one [good-]looking [W]haler.

Those T-Tops are made from aluminum.

I do not understand why can not you remove it with the help of few buddies.

I installed a few on my boats. It was always a two-people-job. Wrap the legs to prevent damage and scratches to fiberglass.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments. So the plan is not remove the Top and pull the decks by working around it.

I am going to disconnect the console and top from the deck but leave the top connected to the console. I will lift it up a bit to pull the rear deck out, sit it back down and secure it to the gunwale hand rails and cleats. The rear deck does not support the console but slides under it about 12" in the middle.

For the front deck I can tilt it backwards on the rear deck and pull the front deck out and slide something under it from the front to span the opening where the deck is removed. Again I will keep it secured to the gunwales to keep it from moving. The front supports all of the console but the back 12" of the console so it will need support under it. Under the front deck is a freshwater tank I need to removed clean out and put back in.

I appreciate the comments about the top I agree it is a nice top, but like Bimini tops better and open boat during nice weather. I will make it part of my restoration included a new canvas on top and rebuild the box on it. Probably lower the box couple inches or replace it.

A complaint about the T-top is that is does not shade as good as a Bimini even though it is a large top. I will look at options for getting additional coverage. Like maybe a rear sun shade that attaches to the top and goes farther back. It is a tall top and that would work.

The Top is so tall that I cant reach the rear rod holders. A tall top does not shade that well in the morning and evening.
As an example look at the shadows on the pictures.

Thanks
Archie