1963 13 Stern Eyes

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
opencage

1963 13 Stern Eyes

Postby opencage » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am

SternEyes.jpg
Fig. 1. Transom of 13-footer with desired new location indicated by red circles
SternEyes.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 3878 times

Do I need to move these stern eyes to their normal location (red circles) or can I keep them where they are?

Based on the wood locating diagram neither of these locations have wood. I would prefer to keep them where they are to avoid having to fill in two big transom holes only to make two more, but if it's necessary so be it. You can see in [Fig. 1.] that the stern eyes are currently next to the hand grips. Normally I see them in top corner of the transom cut (where the red circles appear in Fig. 1).
Tom

BACKSTORY: I'm improving a 1963 13 [stencil number 9948], doing the usual stuff: removing bottom paint (maybe new barrier coat depending on gelcoat condition), repainting cockpit including non-skid, fill in small holes, replace rub rail insert, refinishing all the wood, also rebuilding and repainting the trailer. I know this will take a lot of time, work, and some money, but I like this kind of work and the boat is solid with no major damage to the hull or cockpit. I'd like to be able to occasionally take my boys tubing and skiing--which I've read here is possible using a floating bridle and was advertised in the 1960's. I heard [a prior owner of this boat] restored it in the 1980's. For example, the cockpit is painted white. I think that maybe this was a STANDARD that was converted to a SPORT.

ConB

Re: 1963 13 Stern Eyes

Postby ConB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 am

Assuming the existing eyes are through bolted they should work just fine were they are.

Watch them to make should nothing weird is happening after use.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

opencage

Postby opencage » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 pm

TransomView.jpg
Fig. 2. Transom of 13-footer with through-bolted stern eyes.
TransomView.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Yes, [the stern eyes on the boat now] are through-bolted.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:49 pm

The stern eyes appear to be solidly installed. I think the location they are in now is probably better for use as a tie-down to the trailer.

For a towing bridle, I would get a metal ring about 2-inch diameter. Splice two lengths of rope onto the ring. Make the length of those two ropes just long enough to reach the stern eye bolts and hang down very little behind the engine midsection. If you want a clean installation, make an eye in the rope ends and attach to the ropes to the eye bolts with a small anchor shackle. The tow line attaches to the ring, in whatever fashion you desire.

The reason for keeping the ring close to the transom is to avoid getting too much leverage on the transom if the tow line were able to pull directly on one of the stern eyes. With the stern eyes so far off keel centerline, I think the tow line, if able to work directly on the stern eye, would tend to have more leverage on the boat and would perhaps start to skew the boat course.

In the 1980's--when we were all much younger and smaller--to water ski behind a SPORT 13 with a 25-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine was possible for young adults ages 25 to 35 of normal weight. To pull up younger children should be well within the capabilities of the boat.

opencage

Postby opencage » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Jim, thanks for the thread clean up and the advice.

I've read about bridles similar to the one you described as working better than the usual $20 ones.

This 13 is powered by a Nissan NS40C 2 stroke and has plenty of pep, should be great for the boys.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with where they are for now and if there are problems like loosening, I'll fill in the old ones and reposition per original locations. I'll be sure to let you all know about it too.