210 OUTRAGE Replacing Scuppers

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
zigzag930

210 OUTRAGE Replacing Scuppers

Postby zigzag930 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm

I have a 210 Outrage, and I have just noticed there is a broken scupper. The scuppers are (surprisingly) below the water line, so water has been leaking into the bilge. I am not the original owner but I see that two (of the four) self-bailing scuppers have been replaced with TH Marine [parts].

I'm not thrilled with the design of the original Boston Whaler scupper, as it has failed in a way that could create a huge problem with water entering the bilge. I will call TH Marine to see what they currently offer.

I would like to know if anyone else has figured this out. Drain hoses are 2-inch ID and overall length of the thru-hull is approx 5.25-inch, making replacement choices limited.

Thanks

Masbama

Re: Replacing scuppers on 210 Outrage

Postby Masbama » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Call Sue at Beacon Marine. She helped me out with mine even though it was too late; had to rebuild the transom.

vze2gbs4

Re: 210 OUTRAGE Replacing Scuppers

Postby vze2gbs4 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 am

[I have replaced the scupper drains] once on a 210 and twice on a 190. [In another post that was not linked and no URL was given] I warned owners of 190 and 210.

The problem is created by shrinking hose that pulls plastic scupper inwards. Eventually [the scupper] will snap while bouncing on water, leaving water flowing freely into the hull by the crack. Catastrophic failure--foam is what is keeping boat afloat

You can still get those parts from Boston Whaler dealer. [The cost is a]round $40 [each].
[The procedure to repair is]
    --Remove old one.
    --Clean up old glue around the hole
    --Re-install with 5200 or good underwater marine sealant
You have to tighten the plastic nut on the thru hull from inside the bilge. This will not be easy. Room is very limited. You have to fabricate a special tool that grips around the nut to tighten firm and to be right.

[Installation is a two-]person job. One person has to hold the thru-hull from the outside of the hull while [another person is] tightening [the nut].

I hope you understand.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:37 pm

vze2gbs4 wrote:...foam is what is keeping boat afloat...

A boat floats when the weight of the water that is displaced by the hull is greater than the weight of the hull.

The purpose of the foam in a Boston Whaler boat is to fill interior spaces between the outer hull and the inner hull so that water cannot occupy that space. By preventing water from occupying that space, the foam prevents the hull weight from becoming greater than the weight of the water displaced by the hull.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm

VZE'--thanks for that information. I called Boston Whaler and they gave me Eastern as the OEM for the scuppers. I have ordered four new fittings and will replace [the scuppers on the boat] this weekend.

The hoses were replaced already and they are not too short.

Two of the scuppers where already changed out to TH Marine scuppers, but I think I'll put the original (Eastern brand) back in them all.

How did you fabricate a "nut" wrench?

I was planning to reach in there with Channellock-brand pliers, as I couldn't figure out how else to manage tightening that nut.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 am

No pliers will do. There [is] just no room for the handle. I welded two metal pieces that fit snug around the nut with a 2-inch handle to tighten bit-by-bit in that super-uncomfortable corner where thru-hull is.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:28 am

VZE--it sounds like you made your own unique crow-foot wrench to fit the retaining nut on the through-hull fitting.

Would a plumber's tool called a basin wrench be useful for this particular location? See

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-10-i ... /206994294

To learn if Boston Whaler uses a special tool to install these fittings during assembly would be interesting. Also, are the hull scuppers installed before any sort of deck cap is put over them? That might make it much easier to work on the fasteners.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Not sure if that particular tool would work. Both thru hulls are so close next to each other and one is right next to transom motor well and not to mention awkward body position just to reach it. I would say definately all thru hulls are already in place before cap is joined with the hull.

If only Boston Whaler would install stainless steel scuppers, none of these failures would happen.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 am

I couldn't get a wrench on there, but I used 4200 on the outside and on the nut and tightened them down by hand as far as I could get them. They are a hard to reach and no tool I had (and I have plenty) seemed to help.

I believe the fitting is well secured and will test for leaks this weekend.

Thanks to all for the comments and thoughts.

By the way, I searched the internet for "scupper nut" wrenches or anything remotely close. Found nothing. Sounds like a opportunity for someone to make these. Considering what I just paid for a tilt/trim cap - "Pin Wrench", I'd have gladly purchased the "scupper nut wrench" just to add to my collection of specialty tools.

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:22 am

Here is a tool that I have used for years in tight places for tightening scupper nuts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Adjus ... /304217578