Desert Tan Color in a Two-part Paint

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
v12mac

Desert Tan Color in a Two-part Paint

Postby v12mac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Point me to [a two-part paint or something similar] that will keep off the ultra-violet sunlight from [repairs made with] WEST System epoxy resin and be close in color to Desert Tan.

BACKSTORY: I am working with my son on an old SUPER SPORT 13. We have the hull flipped in the garage and started working on dings, trailer damage, and scrapes. The plan was to touch up with Spectra gel coat kit, but the project got a little bigger than a few gel coat dings. I need a two-part paint I can [apply] over the WEST System repairs without getting into a major gel coat repair or re-spray. This old SUPER SPORT 13 is just a knockaround boat and doesn't need to be perfect.

Or, am I just being lazy and should I use gel [coat resin applied with] a Preval sprayer?

jimh

Re: Desert Tan Color in a Two-part Paint

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 pm

As a general rule, preserving the original gel coat finish of a Boston Whaler boat is preferred.

On the other hand, if the boat is just an old 13-footer with some scars, I wouldn't worry too much about putting on an entirely new top coat over your repaired and faired hull.

Getting paint or new gel coat to perfectly match the hull color you have now may not be possible with an off-the-shelf color, and particularly if you choose to paint the repair areas. Also, if the repair areas are getting numerous and large, to make an undetectable match to the old hull color may be hard to achieve even with gel coat resin.

There is a good demonstration presentation on youTube showing refinishing an old 13-footer. Watching it may give you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUOlWPvgLfQ

I frequently point readers to this presentation. This is a very well done presentation, edited with skill, narrated by an off-camera announcer, with very good camera work showing the process in detail. It is not the usual sloppy, amateurish, shaky-cam, unedited, wrong-aspect-ratio, rambling youTube posting. You can click the link without fear of wasting two hours.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Jamestown Distributors Wet Edge Topside Paint, a ONE-PART polyurethane paint is described at

http://www.totalboat.com/product/wet-edge/

It is available in the following stock colors:

Pint Colors: Flag Blue, Black, White, Fire Red

Quart Colors: Aqua Mist, Black, Blue-Glo White, Classic Whaler Blue, Bristol Beige, Sand Beige, Fighting Lady Yellow, Fire Red, Flag Blue, Flat Gray, Flat White, Hatteras Off-White; Kingston Gray, Largo Blue, Flat Black, Off-White, Oyster White, Sea Foam, Sea Green, White, Yellow

Gallon Colors: Black, Blue-Glo White, Bristol Beige, Fire Red, Flag Blue, Hatteras Off-White, Kingston Gray, Largo Blue, Off-White, Sea Green, White, Yellow, Sea Foam
You might want to get a color chip chart from Jamestown Distributors and see if OYSTER WHITE is suitable for your purpose. Jamestown Distributors have an on-line color chart, but I would NEVER make a color decision based on how something looks on your computer monitor. Most home computer monitors are not every well set up for reproducing subtle color variations, particularly with off-white colors.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Also see another nicely restored 13-footer at

http://www.totalboat.com/2019/03/22/201 ... st-winner/

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm

I painted my 1987 Outrage with Interlux Perfection paint in Oyster White. It's a little lighter than Desert Tan, but it was acceptable for a boat that was used exclusively for fishing and lasted for 10 years. My friend who bought the boat from me 5 years ago is repainting it now, last done in 2008. Boat gets about 200 hours of use every season.

BBS

Postby BBS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm

I removed a small piece of the deck from my 1989 Outrage 18' and had a quart of Dupont Imron (I believe it is now Axalta Imron) matched. It was pretty darn close. I can't guarantee my Desert Tan will match your Desert Tan, but I can upload a picture of the formula if you want it.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 pm

BBS wrote:I removed a small piece of the deck from my 1989 Outrage 18' and had a quart of Dupont Imron (I believe it is now Axalta Imron) matched. It was pretty darn close. I can't guarantee my Desert Tan will match your Desert Tan, but I can upload a picture of the formula if you want it.

Did the same thing and it matched perfect.

Personally I would only use a high quality 2-part catalyzed urethane like Imron or Awlgrip because it will provide better adhesion and hold up better than a 1 part urethane.

Here is the color match on piece of the Whaler interior I cut out and it's a great match. The mix recipe is on the can and any Dupont (now Axalta) paint house will mix it for you.

I had them match it with their rather expensive laser color analyzer.

If you go Awlgrip, here is the color match I dabbed on the samples. Yes, it looks dark and the lighting wasn't the best and after taking a pic and uploading, the color does not render as it looks in person.

Make sure you wash the epoxy with soap and water before sanding to remove the amine blush that causes paint to fish eye and other surface defects. Do this before you sand the amine blush into the surface.

D-