2016 130 Super Sport: Mounting Multi-function Display

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rryan14

2016 130 Super Sport: Mounting Multi-function Display

Postby rryan14 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I recently purchased a 2016 130 Super Sport. I am adding a chart plotter and SONAR multi-function display. I may buy a Garmin GPSMap 44dv, Garmin 74dv, RayMarine Dragonfly 5, or Dragonfly 7.

With this recent model of the Super Sport, I can't figure out a good location to mount the multi-function display. On my previous 1998 GL Super Sport, the mounting location was obvious since the console was fairly large. But on the 2016 130 SPORT model with a small rounded console, I am not sure where to mount the unit My take so far:

• in front of the steering wheel, which would seem to obscure visibility
  • diagonally, using a RAM mount, to the right of the tachometer, but not sure if there is flat enough surface
  • horizontally on the little bench seat to the right of the console, but would seem to be too low
  • horizontally, using a RAM mount, from the starboard railing, which would seem to hang in space
  • or some other manner

I'm also not sure if the 7-inch diagonal display screen models from Garmin or RayMarine models might overwhelm the small dimensions of the console which is why I mentioned the 4-inch or 50inch versions of these models.

To anyone who has a 2009-present year Super Sport and has added a GPS/FF to the cockpit:

Q1: which brand and which model model did you buy?
Q2: where did you mount it?
Q3: how did you mount it?

Any suggestions and photos would be most appreciated.

Here is the cockpit arrangement:
https://bostonwhaler.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/27090920/130-Super-Sport-5.jpg

Regards--Bob

jimh

Re: 2016 130 Super Sport: Mounting Multi-function Display

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 am

I don't meet the criterion you imposed on those eligible to respond, but I have a solution for you:

• Take a saw to the console.
  • Cut off the rounded top of the console.
  • Cut a piece of 3/4-inch marine plywood to fit the exposed opening in the console.
  • Using WEST System epoxy, adhere the plywood to the console.
  • Use some fiberglass strips to act as tabs or fillets to give the plywood a strong bond to the console.
  • Apply some laminate layer on top of the wood, blending the new flat surface into the original console.
  • Apply matching gel coat to the new flat surface.
  • I omit all the details of the fairing, sanding, preparation, and laminating, but use best practices.
  • With the console now having a new flat top, install the multi-function display on the new flat top of the console, behind the steering wheel.

For advice on how to install the multi-function display, I recommend:

• use a conventional mounting bracket; they are usually supplied with the multi-function display;
  • fasten the mounting bracket to the console surface using marine grade stainless steel Phillips-head or Pozidrive self-tapping screw of appropriate size and length if mounting into an area reinforced with wood; if not in a reinforced area use machine screws and through bolts; consider a backing plate if the bracket seem to be wobbly and the laminate can be deflected easily;
  • drill a hole in the console for the electrical cables; the hole must be large enough so that the largest connector among the several cables can pass through the hole; pass this connector through the hole first, then pass other cables with smaller connectors through the hole in order of decreasing size;
  • connect the multi-function display power conductors to the secondary power distribution panel on your boat; if the power cable has an in-line fuse, considering removing the fuse if the secondary power distribution panel has a fused brach circuit available
  • route the SONAR transducer cable to the transom;
  • install SONAR transducer following manufacturer recommended procedure.

In regard to the diagonal dimension of the display, I recommend a 7-inch display in preference to a smaller model.

charlg

Postby charlg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm

I just installed a Garmin 54cv on my 2018. The size seems perfect. I mounted it next to the console. Do not drill too far and it will not go into the glove box.
IMG_43541.jpg
IMG_43541.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

rryan14

Postby rryan14 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 pm

Thank you jimh & charig for your suggestions. I think now that the Garmin 54cv mounted to the right of the console is the safest and simplest mounting option. It's also the cheapest since that model has been discontinued but is available for $260. Seeing the photo from charig was very helpful -- I previously installed the same model on my old Whaler and generally liked it a lot, but until seeing your photo, I didn't think it would work as well as it appears to on your 2018 Whaler. So, again, much appreciated.

The 7" and touchscreen will have to wait for another day.