1983 Outrage 25 Installing Leaning Post

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
merensen

1983 Outrage 25 Installing Leaning Post

Postby merensen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 am

I have purchased a used Super Leaning Post and want to install it in my 1983 Outrage 25. I currently have an OEM leaning post which I will remove. I am looking for advice on drilling into [the deck] and advice on what screw fasteners to use. I want to make sure [the new leaning post] is secure but [the screw fasteners] don't hurt the fuel tank or anything below.

Thanks,
Mike

Phil T

Re: 1983 Outrage 25 Installing Leaning Post

Postby Phil T » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Mike -

If the console is on part of the fuel tank cover, you want to consider using stainless machine bolts into stainless T-nuts that are installed on the back side of the cover for the part of the L bracket.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1746

You would select the bolt length so it goes through the nut but not past by much.

Have a photo of the current setup where we can see the leaning post in relation to the fuel tank cover?

Regards,

Phil
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

russellbailey

Re: 1983 Outrage 25 Installing Leaning Post

Postby russellbailey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm

I installed a leaning post on my 1984 Outrage 25. Odds are good yours is the same construction on the tank cover.

Look under the deck at a fuel access port. In mine, that area has about 1.25" of plywood built up beneath the fiberglass. If you use a screw, you don't want to penetrate the bottom of the wood, as your fuel line runs in that general area. You likely have twin 70 gallon tanks like in my boat - the single 140 gallon tank was used in later models.

I installed a Birdsall Marine leaning post, like https://marineproducts.net/rocket-launchers-leaning-posts/?sort=bestselling&page=2

I used #14 screws to hold the leaning post to the deck. I think I used 1.25" screws though they may have been 1". There are 4 screws per leg, or 16 total. I considered through bolting but decided against it and it would require pulling the tank cover to install as well as if I wanted to remove. I also used 3m5200 between the leaning post base and the deck. It is very solidly held down. I just did not see a need to through-bolt for this installation.