Removing Surface Rust on Stainless Steel

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Waterfun

Removing Surface Rust on Stainless Steel

Postby Waterfun » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I bought a 2006 Montuak that spent a few years in Florida. There are small surface rust spots on the Bimini Frame, bow rail bases, and a few other spots.

Give advice to remove surface rust.

What products are used?

Thanks.

frontier

Re: Removing Surface Rust

Postby frontier » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Barkeeper's Friend.

Jefecinco

Re: Removing Surface Rust

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am

Barkeeper's Friend will do a good job removing the surface rust. Be a cautious with Barkeeper's Friend. Don't use Barkeeper's Friend to polish the rest of the chrome plated stainless steel.

A good metal polish such as Flitz or Brasso will restore a bright reflective shine.

Depending on the extent of the surface rust, to follow the Barkeepers Friend with a polish would be a good idea.
Butch

jimh

Re: Removing Surface Rust on Stainless Steel

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 am

With the proliferation of home appliances with stainless steel surfaces, there are some aerosol cleaner-polish products designed for stainless steel. I have not tried them on boat hardware. They may be useful.

Example:

3M14002 Aerosol Stainless Steel / Metal Cleaner and Polish

3M 59158CC Aerosol Stainless Steel / Metal Cleaner and Polish

Keep stainless steel, chrome, laminated plastics, aluminum, and a variety of other metal surfaces clean and polished to an attractive sheen for years to come with this 3M 59158CC stainless steel / metal cleaner and polish ...efficiently cleans and polishes in a single step, this formula cleans surfaces before leaving a light protective film that masks blemishes, slows resoiling, and resists fingerprints.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:44 am

The BARKEEPER'S FRIEND product contains oxalic acid. Be sure to rinse off the product after application to remove acid residue.

zoom42

Postby zoom42 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm

I have used fine steel wool and WD-40 for many years. Wet the area where you have rust, wrap the wool and your fingers around the tubing, slide back and forth a few times and presto, rust gone, metal clean and shiny. Wipe off with clean cloth. Same process on chrome or other metal. Also cleans up oxidation or just generally cruddy chrome and stainless. Process will clean up chrome that is pitted and rusty too. Won't fix pits of course but rust bleed from the pits will be gone and chrome will shine and fend off rust for a while.

rtk

Postby rtk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:59 am

Sheila Shine works very well for me.

http://www.sheilashine.com/

Rich

macfam

Postby macfam » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 am

Collinite Metal Polish.
After 6 Whalers with stainless Bimini supports.......I swear by it.
Get it online.
The 885 Fleetwax is the best wax for hulls hands down. (assuming proper preparation)