13-foot Hull Drain

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Rayd249

13-foot Hull Drain

Postby Rayd249 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi. I recently bought a 1968 Bosotn Whaler 13-foot boat. The hull has delamination, and there was quite a bit of customization done. I am trying to get this 13-foot hull back in shape for the summer.

The 13-foot hull seems dry. I am trying to seal up any possible holes--other then the major hole on the bottom.

It looks like holes were drilled for drains. There are three. I can feel foam if I push a nail in there.

[Are the drains on this hull] original?

Or, should [the drains on this hull] be sealed?

I tried [to find an aswer] with no luck. Thanks Ray

Rayd249

Re: IMAGE

Postby Rayd249 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:02 pm

EF75F40F-8721-4061-8679-B992FF98BC94.jpeg
Fig. 1. Please provide a caption to this image so readers will be able to know what the image is showing.
EF75F40F-8721-4061-8679-B992FF98BC94.jpeg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 8936 times

MarkCz

Re: Whaler 13 Hatch Drain

Postby MarkCz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm

Buy plastic or brass tubing that just fits through the holes; glue in tubing. The foam is protected and you still have drains.

jimh

Re: Whaler 13 Hatch Drain

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Drains are mentioned in the owner's manual. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... drainTubes

You mention that your 13-foot hull has three drains: where are the three drains located?

Typically a bow anchor locker has a drain. The Transom splashwell has a drain. The cockpit sump has a drain. These drains are typically lined with brass tubing.

Request for help or advice in the repair of brass through-hull drains are frequently asked questions. Because drain replacement is a frequently asked question, a comprehensive reply has been drafted and provided in the REFERENCE section article FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. The FAQ answers are concise and have been written in a terse style. Do not confuse their brevity with lack of information.

You can find the FAQ answer about repair of through hull drains at:

Q12: How Are Drain Tubes Replaced?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q12

Rayd249

Re: 13-foot Hull Drain

Postby Rayd249 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks, I will [make a repair using] tubing.

I thought only the transom drain had the sleeve.

I did not think the same on the locker.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:24 am

My SPORT 13 had the small hole at the bottom of the bow storage area as shown in the picture. It did not have the two holes up top.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

MarkCz wrote:My SPORT 13 had the small hole at the bottom of the bow storage area as shown in the picture. It did not have the two holes up top.

In the picture I only see two holes. Where to you see "the two holes up top" in the picture?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:44 am

Rayd249--please describe the location of the "three drains" on your boat. Please provide a caption to the image you have included in your earlier post.

Rayd249

Postby Rayd249 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:49 pm

There is one [drain] on each side of the [anchor locker]. I didn’t take the picture of all three, just two. I have not had the chance to measure them yet, but they are around 9/16-inch. I am going to order brass tube for them as soon as I confirm size tonight.

[Nota Bene: I have replaced the word "hatch" because I do not believe a hatch has a drain. A locker, in this case the anchor locker, has a drain. There may be a hatch that covers the anchor locker, but I do not think the hatch has a drain; the drain is in the anchor locker. --jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Perhaps the inset in the deck where the hatch for the anchor locker is seated has a drip channel molded into it at the outer edges, and the drip channel is oriented to flow water out of the channel to the stern via the drain. Is that what was mean by "hatch drain"?

Rayd249

Postby Rayd249 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:52 pm

The drains look like they drain all the water that the lip catches, keeping everything dry. I did not put them there.

I am adding sleeves.

VKR

Postby VKR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Approximately in the period 1969 to 1974 I owned a SPORT 13. My SPORT 13 had the same three drain holes [as described in the boat under discussion]. The bottom drain drained the bow seat locker which Figure 1 above shows. Figure 1 only shows the upper drain on the starboard side. The two drains were placed with the intent of draining the concave water trough around the perimeter of the feature that supported the 3/4-inch-thick mahogany seat.

I do recall them simply being through holes without a gel coat or other wall on the inside of the through hole cylinder walls. I do recall you could feel the foam between the two gel coat surfaces. I didn't worry much about the possibility of water intrusion into the foam at that time, but, given what I know today about water in Whaler hulls, retro-fitting thin-walled brass tubing flush to the outside gel coat surfaces would be a nice addition . A thin wall tube would be needed to ensure the drain holes actually drain the trough, rather than damming the water up.

By the way, adding a small bag of ice to that locker kept the soda cans very cold on those hot summer days—the 1968 version of Yeti cooler. I recall the mahogany seat being cold and moisture would condense on the seat in the morning hours due to the humidity.

I own a 1986 18 Outrage now, but wish I also still had my SPORT 13. I had a lot of fun with that boat.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am

Our 1981 Sport 13 has a single anchor locker drain at the bottom of the vertical surface of the aft bulkhead of the locker. Feeling through the hole I can detect foam in the bulkhead. On the aft side of the bulkhead is a hole approximately 3/8ths inch in diameter at deck level. There is no evidence of a tube ever connecting the two holes. It would be very difficult to install a drain tube due to difference in the sizes of the two apertures and the difference in levels. It may be possible to install a flexible tube between the apertures but it would be difficult.

My thinking is that if the locker is used for anchor storage there is little need for a drain and it could be plugged and forgotten. I believe that is what I will do. If the locker is used as a cooler or fish box installation of a drain tube could be worth exploring. I expect a lingering unpleasant rotten fish smell could be difficult to eliminate should "fish juice" get into the foam cavity.
Butch