1971 NAUSET Hull Weight

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tinman

1971 NAUSET Hull Weight

Postby Tinman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:01 pm

I am preparing to restore a 1971 16 Nauset to original shape. All parts are removed down to a bare hull. Before I start refinishing the hull and deck I want to address any water that might be soaked inside the hull. I weighed the boat while on my trailer at a weight station as 1460-lbs. Then I weighed the trailer as 660-lbs. That puts my bare hull at 800-lbs.

How can I verify how much the hull weighed when manufactured?

I want to know how much water is in the hull.

jimh

Re: 1971 NAUSET Hull Weight

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 pm

The weight of a bare 16 foot hull is listed in the REFERENCE Section. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

There no way to know what your particular hull weighed when first molded. Thus there is no way for you to “verify” the weight at the time of manufacture.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Tinman wrote:...I want to address any water that might be soaked inside the hull...

If you deduce from weighing and comparisons with published weights that the hull weighs more than you think it should, and if you decide that the weight gain is due to water in the hull, what action will you take?

Tinman

Postby Tinman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:05 pm

Thank you for pointing me to the reference section.

I plan on attempting to drain water I can out of the hull without compromising the structural integrity of the hull.

I purchased the boat last fall. The bottom has never been painted, and there are no signs of fiberglass-foam separation.

I think I found the breach which allowed the water in. When I bought the boat the first thing I did was to temporarily silicone all the screw holes in the deck. I noticed inside the steering cable tunnel where the long brass drain tube penetrates the gel coat that there is a 3/8-inch wide section of gel coat missing and fiberglass damage adjacent to the brass tube inlet. A previous owner attempted to caulk it. There is another 3-inch chip of gel coat missing on the center of the hull at the transom below the brass drain discharge. The flanges on both ends of the drain don’t look normal, they somehow have been pressed into the gel coat flush, I can’t see the O- rings. I then put a flashlight at one end of the drain and looked into the other end and noticed that the drain tube is not straight, there is a dog leg and it’s buckled.

All the evidence is pointing towards the transom end falling onto a hard surface like rolling off of a trailer. I believe most of the water entered the foam at the damaged fiberglass next to the drain tube in the deck tunnel over years of not being covered and being exposed to rain.

I’m planning to remove the bent 15-inch-long brass drain and raise the boat bow on stands at a 30-degree angle to see how much water will come out with gravity over time with the summer sun heating the deck, while keeping track of how much water comes out.

Tinman

Postby Tinman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 am

The recessed flange and bent brass drain could also have been the result of over tightening a flange tool. The pipe is bent towards 3 o’clock and the buckle is at 6 o’cLock. The removal of the brass drain will be a challenge. Does anyone have a tip for removing the long thru hull drain from a 1971 16’ Nauset?