Montauk: Installing new mechanical steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
87montauknewbie

Montauk: Installing new mechanical steering

Postby 87montauknewbie » Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm

On a 1987 Montauk with a Yamaha 90 two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine, will the outboard engine need to be removed in order to replace the mechanical steering cable?

I attempted to replace a steering cable, but I could not get out the old steering cable. The rod that goes through the tilt tube hits the transom; it seems to be too long to remove without removing the engine from the transom.

Am I missing something?

Phil T

Re: Montauk New steering cable

Postby Phil T » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm

One trick [when installing new mechanical cable steering on a MONTAUK] is to loosen the [engine mounting] bolts:

With the trailer wheels blocked, engine down and sitting on a wood block to take the weight:

--loosen the bolts (don't remove) on the starboard side slightly.

--loosen the nuts on the port side so you can pivot the engine bracket so the port side of the bracket is away from the transom.

Note you may need to break the seal of any caulking. Be gentle but firm. If you use any tools to pry, wrap them in a towel to prevent damaging the gelcoat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Acseatsri

Re: Montauk: Installing new mechanical steering

Postby Acseatsri » Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am

87montauknewbie wrote:The rod that goes through the tilt tube hits the transom; it seems to be too long to remove without removing the engine from the transom.

I just replaced [the mechanical steering] on a 1982 Montauk. [The rod that is installed through the tilt tube] was [a] close [fit]; It rubbed on the transom a little but came out without touching the motor.