Verado Engine Intake Manifold Anomaly

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tacky79

Verado Engine Intake Manifold Anomaly

Postby Tacky79 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm looking at a used Whaler 1000 miles from my house. One of our board members graciously looked at it for me, and the shop found this anomaly in the intake manifold. Any ideas what this may be, other than a problem in the casting process of this manifold? I might go ahead and have a Mercury technician or surveyor check it out, but thought I'd ask here.

Engine is a 2012 Mercury 250 VERADO with about 300-hours. Boat is 230 Dauntless:

2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Jefecinco

Re: Verado intake manifold concern

Postby Jefecinco » Thu May 30, 2019 11:05 am

It's difficult to tell from the photos if the anomaly is a casting error or impact damage. It appears the manifold is on the output or pressurized side of the supercharger. If that is correct any crack or leakage should be easily detectable while running the engine with the cowling removed.

If there is no leakage it indicates the manifold is serviceable. There is a half moon shaped area joining the edge of the anomaly that concerns you. If it is a crack the manifold may be damaged. If it is only a scratch I would not be concerned. A crack can be detected with a dye penetrant test. An inexpensive kit should be available at an auto parts store.

Since the anomaly is on the output side of the supercharger I would not be very concerned about a future leak. I believe the worst case if the manifold develops a leak would be a loss of power. The manifold should be easily repairable by a competent welder if necessary, probably without removing the manifold from the engine.
Butch

jimh

Re: Verado Engine Intake Manifold Anomaly

Postby jimh » Thu May 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Re repairing the manifold by welding: is that casting made from metal? I would not be surprised if it were some sort of composite.

You should ask about this at Glen Ersly's VERADO CLUB site, if you can do so without to much fuss and rigamarole.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 pm

I decided to pass on this boat. Too many questions were arising, and the sales guy had quick answers for them all. First, he said it was running rough, then they saw corrosion in the exhaust, then there was water leaking from the cowling. Yesterday, he said none of that was true, it was a communication concern between his service department, and the boat is perfect.

Just not worth making the trip to check it out.

Thanks guys.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Sorry to hear that boat didn't work out. Dang sellsman can't act like a normal person and shoot straight. The guy I spoke with while looking at it said that something was wrong in that it didn't run right when they took it out for initial test run.

That 2012 23' Dauntless is for sure a nice model but rare boat to find. That hull was for sure a nice boat in pristine condition but not good if the power is shot. Maybe that is the reason the guy traded it in.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks again, Acassiday, for taking your (and your son's) time to check it out. There are some great people on Continuous Wave. Two others contacted me offering to check out this boat as well. I hope to be able to return the favor someday!

The sales guy denied that it ever ran rough, even though he told me that a week ago. I'm glad the shop guy acknowledged that!

Oh well. Hunting down the right Whaler is fun (albeit frustrating, sometimes).