New trailer for 2003 190 Nantucket

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Masbama

New trailer for 2003 190 Nantucket

Postby Masbama » Thu May 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I think it is time to invest in a new trailer for my [2003 190 Nantucket] boat. The original Karavan trailer is 16-years-old and needs refurbishment. The trailer is causing scrapes to [the 2003 190 Nantucket] keel.

I would like a trailer with no rollers and torsion axles.

I am looking at a Magic Tilt or a Loadmaster brand due to local dealer availability.

I would prefer a single axle trailer but I realize that I may have to get a dual axle trailer to meet my needs.

Give me thoughts and suggestions.

Phil T

Re: New trailer for 2003 190 Nantucket

Postby Phil T » Thu May 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Since trailer brands are regional, I would try to go with Continental brand. They are well built, durable and not expensive.

Call them for their dealer list. https://www.continentaltrailers.com/contactus.htm

Personally, I have had great experience with LoadRite (not 5 Starr) and bought one as recently as 14 months ago.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm

Well, I still haven’t decided on which trailer yet because I want to make sure it fixes my problem which is this:
I started to use some new local boat ramps this year which are a bit steeper than the ones I used previously. After a few launches I noticed my keel gel coat was scraping off. I changed the keel roller and added keel pads but it is still happening.
The current trailer is the original Karavan trailer that came with the boat. It is sixteen years old and rusting at key welding spots. Time to get a new one.
I have narrowed it down to a Loadmaster, Magic Trail or a Sport Trail. Aluminum, single axle and I will have higher main bunks and keel bunks. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

ConB

Postby ConB » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 pm

If you are going to keep the boat for a while I would look for a Phoenix Trailer dealer in your area. Get a custom all bunk aluminum any way you want it.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:36 am

Mas -

As I read it, you are missing the roller and the bow is either hitting the frame, bracket or broken roller. In a recent visit to see Henry aka Yidil, I noted his factory supplied trailer for his Nantucket/190 Outrage only included a single roller and a pad. I suggest you add rollers so that you have two 12" rollers on each crossmember.

This would apply to a new or renovated trailer -

While in Maine, I trailered 100% and to locations that had unique and "interesting" ramp characteristics. From the pancake flat ramp and ramps that had a 1 foot drop into an underwater ditch (abhor power loaders) at certain tides to a double black diamond steep ramp going into a river with a 5 mph screaming ebb. Several of the ramps were outside of the no-wake zones.

I learned to be able to launch and retrieve at a myriad of ramps is a matter of setup and technique. I modified my trailer in several ways to accommodate the various ramps including:

-Installing a 4' tongue extension with hinge to allow me to back down shallow ramps farther without dunking my tow vehicle.
-Installing heavy duty rear guide rollers (not poles) to help ensure and maintain proper lineup when fighting currents. I later raised my rear lights to the pole top to improve their visibility to drivers behind me.
-Installing double 12" rollers on each crossmembers and a wide bow roller with ears to catch the bow.

As for technique, I learned that the position of the trailer, based on conditions, is key to a smooth launch or retrieve. If you bury the trailer, it is easy for the hull to wander out of alignment. If too shallow, you have to manually winch the boat 2/3 of the trailer length. While doable, it is a workout. I marked on the forward face of the port trailer fender to indicate when to stop at the various types (shallow, typical, canyon, steep) of ramp.

Hope some of this helps.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 am

Sport Trail makes a fantastic trailer with any added touches you may desire. Dealing with Sport Trail on-line or telephone is difficult. Kevin, the boss, is more often in the fab shop than the office and there is only one lady to handle all the calls, etc. For that reason I recommend a drive over to Bay St Louis to visit with Kevin and look over some of the ongoing work.

While our trailer was being built we would drive over on I-10 and come home on US90 to enjoy the view. There are a couple of pretty good spots to stop for lunch and we took advantage of that.

The trailers are all welded aluminum with good stainless steel hardware. You'll like what you see there.

Since we bought our trailer Kevin has started building for dealers. In general he will not sell to you directly unless he has no dealer near you. Even if you have to go through a dealer a visit with him is useful so you can get an idea of all the special touches you can have on the trailer.
Butch

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:42 am

I had a Sport trail on my classic Donzi that I bought in Orange beach. Custom made and a real nice trailer. The others ou mentioned are nice too. Most aluminum trailers come as a kit and the company just puts them together so most are similar. Continental galvanized trailers in my opinion are junk but their aluminum ones look to be good. caravan trailers do not have a great reputation as well and I am amazed that Whaler used them as their only option.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks to all for the reply’s and suggestions. I always appreciate the feedback. It will be used.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:07 am

Well I bought my new trailer. I went with a Loadmaster. It has stainless hardware, 5200 pound load rating, 15” tires, torsion suspension and vortex hubs. Also has a three year warranty. I may use Phil’s suggestion and add side rollers in front of the fenders. Hopefully it will work well.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am

Congratulations. That's a fine choice.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Took my boat out for its first trailer trial and it was perfect. Totally goof proof with no chance of keel run and the experts at Roughwater Marine set it up perfect. I strongly recommend this Loadmaster trailer for anyone with a 190 Nantucket or 190 Outrage. It’s so well built with quality materials.