2006 130 Sport Upgrades

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Wesley8808

2006 130 Sport Upgrades

Postby Wesley8808 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:59 pm

I have a 2006 130 Sport that I picked up this last fall.

I took the winter to make some upgrades:
- Added a Blue Seas battery switch behind the driver seat
- Added a bilge pump (for when my son forgets to pull the plug when tying up)
- Added a horn
- Added a Garmin Echomap 44cv with transducer (had to relocated the stern light receptacle)
- Added Ritchie Compass
- Swapped out the original black steering wheel for a stainless
- Had a bow rail installed. My wife was concerned about safety. I love the way it turned out.
- Added a New Wire Marine switch panel that has:
- New navigation/anchor light switch
- Horn Switch
- Manual bilge switch for when water breaches over the bow
- USB charging ports
- 12v port

Here are some pictures:
Before pic Console.jpg
Before pic Console.jpg (149.17 KiB) Viewed 9076 times

130 Bilge Pump.jpg
130 Bilge Pump.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 9076 times

130 Console II.jpg
130 Console II.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 9076 times

Things left to do include:
- Blue Seas Voltage Monitor where the old light switch used to be
- New cup holder (tough finding the right size, the plastic silver one is too large but works for now)
- Custom cover for the dash
- Fishing rod holders on the seat back
- Storage insert on the driver seat back

Would love to hear any other ideas you might have.

Sifd324

Re: 2006 130 Sport Remodel

Postby Sifd324 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Where did you get your front rail?

I also have a 2006 130 Sport that I got to motivate me off the couch after some major surgery. I wanted something easy to handle and could work on easily. The problem that I did not catch when I got the boat was the water intrusion into the hull. The signs were there but I am blaming the drugs and the blinders you get looking at whalers for sale at a good price.

Some of the problem was the previous owner attaching things to the hull without sealant but the primary concern was the design of the rear drain. The motor was mounted with shims but there was only about a quarter inch gap for the water to drain. It was easily obstructed and water would build up in the back when it rained. Sitting on a trailer full of water with holes in the deck was what most likely happened.

While I was recovering. I mounted the motor on a set of 2.5 inch setbacks and replaced the plastic drains with stainless thru hulls. Added a hydraulic jack plate and a set of smart tabs. In addition I switched to hydraulic steering. I then rewired it and added dual batteries, charger and a cutout switch. To try and get the water to drain I installed a stainless garboard drain into the hull. Initially I attached a shop vac and got a ton of water out. I also extended the tongue of the trailer so I could launch it with my golf cart. Added a Garmin 54cv, cup holders, rod holders and a stainless steering wheel.

After all that I was finally cleared to take it out. I love the boat. Perfect for me and my wife or grandsons to tool around in. I can also pull it down the street with the golf cart and launch and load it by myself.

Right now I’m on round 2. Been in the barn since last fall to dry it out some more. Took off the jack plate but kept the setback. Adding a power pole micro anchor. Repowering with Yamaha and replacing the Garmin with a flush mount Simrad G07. Re filling the holes properly, adding some handrails and switching to led lights. Also refurbishing the trailer and should be ready to go in a few weeks.

Sounds like a lot of excessive but keeps me off the couch.

gubernaculum

Re: 2006 130 Sport Upgrades

Postby gubernaculum » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:21 pm

Best thing I did for our 130 with merc 40 four stroke, was a stainless 4 blade prop, I think it was 2 inches less pitch. Finally got on plane w 4 people, had to watch revs at the top end though.