Ultrasonic Carburetor Cleaner

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
floater

Ultrasonic Carburetor Cleaner

Postby floater » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:59 am

Recently I purchased an ultrasonic carburetor cleaner. My 2006 Mercury 15-HP engine had been running rough and stalling while trolling for salmon. I removed the carburetor and took it apart. I soaked the main body and all parts in the ultrasonic cleaner for five minutes. I could not believe all the crud that came out of it. I put the carburetor back together. The engine fired right up. and seemed to idle better on the muffs now than it had been.
I can't wait to test it on the water.

dtmackey

Re: Ultrasonic Carburetor Cleaner

Postby dtmackey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 am

I'm happy to hear you are satisfied with the ultrasonic cleaner. I purchased one several years ago and use it for everything. I now plan buy a large capacity unit. I've used the ultrasonic cleaner for carburetors, and it dislodges everything dirt-like and deposits. Parts come out clean and looking like new. A couple tricks I've found: the hotter the water the better the cleaning and the best mixture for cleaning is 2-cups of Purple Power degreaser mixed with 1/3-cup dish-soap and the rest water.

I tend to run everything through the ultrasonic cleaner that is dirty--nuts, bolts, hardware---and not only does it clean, but but does remove some rust and corrosion; not as good as a vibratory tumbler, but better than I could do with a rag and solvents.

For those thinking about a ultrasonic cleaner, they can be purchased on eBay for short money, as low as $42 shipped to your door for the smaller units, up to hundreds of dollars for larger capacity units.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am

I used to work for BRANSON--a very well known brand for ultrasonic cleaners--but not in the division that made ultrasonic cleansers. Branson was started by Norm Branson way back in the 1960's in Connecticut. If you can buy other brands for such little cost, I am surprised they are able to stay in business. Their products are a bit more expensive.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am

jimh wrote:I used to work for BRANSON--a very well known brand for ultrasonic cleaners--but not in the division that made ultrasonic cleansers. Branson was started by Norm Branson way back in the 1960's in Connecticut. If you can buy other brands for such little cost, I am surprised they are able to stay in business. Their products are a bit more expensive.

We used Crest ultrasonic cleaners at my previous company and like Branson, they were more expensive, but I'm sure they could stand up to years and years of commercial use compared to the less expensive models out there. I can tell you that the $50 model I purchased has a decent amount of run time over the past several years for the projects I do.

I'm not sure how they can build it and sell at the price they to and make money. All stainless construction, digital time/temp settings and seems like a nicely constructed unit.

D-

floater

Postby floater » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 am

That is the exact unit I purchased. Up here in Canada it cost 241 dollars Canadian!!!