Outrage V-22 Wood Location near Fuel Tank Cavity

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spc337

Outrage V-22 Wood Location near Fuel Tank Cavity

Postby Spc337 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 pm

My project is a 1979 Outrage V-22 with the regular 77-gallon fuel tank.

I have a new tank and have applied appropriate rubber strips to the underside for installation in the fuel tank cavity. A drainage tube is installed. Last step is to secure the fuel tank itself to insure there is no fore-and-aft movement underway. I cut down some aluminum angle stock to various lengths to find a good fit. I will reuse the straps across the top, and I will likely secure some thin rubber on the tank to protect it from the straps and crevice corrosion.

On the aft end, I was planning to mount the angle stock (a 4-inch piece) to the side of the fuel tank cavity and in the floor on the front end (with 3-inch pieces). I'll protect the tank with more rubber strips affixed to the tank. I believe I had read these were the best locations. I'm not sure what is below the gelcoat so I could use some help to ensure I screw into the best supporting structure.

What are the best locations [to strongly hold screw fasteners that will retain aluminum angle stock that will hold the fuel tank in place in the vicinity of the fuel tank cavity]?

What length and size screws are appropriate [to install to retain aluminum angle stock to hold the fuel tank in place in the vicinity of the fuel tank cavity]?

It's been a while getting back to my tank replacement project but finally have some time.

Thanks
Sean
Boston Whaler 1979 V-22 Outrage

jimh

Re: Outrage V-22 Wood Location near Fuel Tank Cavity

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

You should get a wood location diagram for the 1979 OUTRAGE 22 boat from Boston Whaler. The diagram will show you were there are embedded wood reinforcements. Contact Boston Whaler customer service and ask them to email the drawing to you.

To deduce the best locations for screw fasteners to hold the aluminum angle you plan to install to retain the fuel tank in place you can be guided by the locations that Boston Whaler used in the original installation of the original tank.

Use caution in drilling holes into the lower portions of the fuel tank cavity because there may not be any wood reinforcements throughout that area. Also you may not appreciate the distance from the bottom of the fuel tank cavity to the boat keel.