In need of a favor (measurement) 20-22 Outrage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ekalb

In need of a favor (measurement) 20-22 Outrage

Postby ekalb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I have a 1987 20 Outrage that I bought a few months back that came on a roller trailer. The trailer is in great shape, but I am converting it to bunk trailer for obvious reasons.

Can someone measure the spacing (bunk width) on their bunk trailer that has either a 20' or 22' outrage of this vintage? My boat is in the water and I want to get the spacing as close as possible for when I pull the boat at the end of the season. thanks for any help!

Meyer

Re: In need of a favor (measurement) 20-22 Outrage

Postby Meyer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 am

My Outrage 20 is a bit newer than yours (1997) but if it helps:

Bunks are 3" wide.
Outside Edge-edge = 51.5"

Good Luck!

jimh

Trailer set-up for 20 to 22 Outrage

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

A 1997 boat will not be a good model for setting up a classic c.1988 20 or 22-foot OUTRAGE hull, and I don’t recommend using dimensions from that hull.

For a classic 20- or 22-foot OUTRAGE hull, the outer bunks of the trailer should fit inside the hull runners. The runners are about 62-inches apart. The bunks should stay clear of the cockpit sump drain on Starboard and its clamshell cover, otherwise they will de crushed. This usually is done by moving the outer bunks inward and having about a 52-inch separation. Another method is to cut a relief in the Starbord bunk at its last few feet so the drain won’t be hit.

A proper all-bunk trailer should have a set of inner bunks set very close together so they bear on the keel area. These bunks can be 6-inches apart. They should be bearing the majority of the hull weight; the outer bunks should be set to carry less weight.

Even with an all-bunk trailer, a keel roller toward the bow that supports the keel on the upslope of the bow stem will be useful. This roller will be very helpful in lifting the boat toward the home position on a sloping launch ramp. A winch stop with two rollers is also recommended to help bear the weight of the forward part of the boat not on the bunks.

The basis for my advice is the set up of my classic 22-foot hull on a trailer, where the boat lives when not in the water.

All use of the boat is via launching ramps, done many, many times every boating season.

Launching and loading are extremely simple and the boat orientation on the trailer is very consistent at every loading.

The boat has been trailered at least 20,000 miles.

drewread

Postby drewread » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 am

Jimh,

I have the same hull, can you post a few photos of your trailer setup when you have a chance?

Thank you.

drewread

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:04 am

DREW—I will illustrate a few features of my trailer when I get back home to my main computer. I have been out boating and up north without a real computer or good internet access for several weeks.

drewread

Postby drewread » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

jimh wrote:DREW—I will illustrate a few features of my trailer when I get back home to my main computer. I have been out boating and up north without a real computer or good internet access for several weeks.

Enjoy your trip.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 am

Please see a new thread at

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4759

for some details of my trailer set-up.