New Project: 1980 Revenge V-22

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rcapriola

New Project: 1980 Revenge V-22

Postby rcapriola » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 pm

I just acquired 1980 REVENGE V-22 boat from Kansas to Oregon to northern California

My priority list:
    New axles, wheels, and brakes for the trailer

investigate fuel tank (surrounding foam is soaked), possibly replace

replace kicker bracket/lift (assist springs not working)

patch transom holes

replace E-Z steer (rusted connections and rod)

add remote throttle control to kicker

add an on-board charger for both batteriess

replace battery switch, fuse panel

install seadek deck covering

refinish exterior above and below gunwales

addd a radar arch and T-top with rocket launchers

fix trim tabs

install windlass

wire for electric downriggers
Last edited by rcapriola on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Revenge V-22 Sterndrive

biggiefl

Re: New Project: 1980 Revenge V-22

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 am

Gonna be an expensive project. You did not mention the power. What is the foam next to the tank soaked with?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 am

Congrats on your new project.
When planning your project I would set priorities with your check off list starting with safety and reliability of your trailer and boat. For example start with your trailer, outboard power and boat electrical system. For me as example when restoring a boat I end up replacing all fuel hoses and inline filters, completely rewire the boats wiring, switches and replace pumps that are not 100 percent. (I am sure you are thinking like this anyway.) I do all of this before anything else as in cosmetic or upgrades.

If the foam around the tank is soaked I would recommend pulling the tank and inspecting the tank also. Water around the tank will cause pitting and corrosion around the tank and it will eventually begin to leak. Most aluminum tanks fail because of contact with water. This will cause some sort of electrolysis on the metal. Water soaked foam around the tank is not a good sign.

What engine do you have on the boat?
Archie

steelhead55

Postby steelhead55 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:48 pm

A few guys here have the same boat. Look up my posts for how I took out my polyethylene tank.

A REVENGE V22 is a great boat for the Northwest. I will have mine out of Gold Beach in Oregon the week of August 10, 2019.

rcapriola

Postby rcapriola » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reinforcement of how much this is ultimately going to cost me.

To keep this older boat alive will be worth the costs.

I plan on starting with the trailer, which I have determined is more cost-effective to replace than to repair.

Next comes the fuel tank. It is soaked with water and not fuel, fortunately. I had to replace the fuel tank on my last boat (1993 Grady-White Tournament 19) which began to leak at age 20 years so I know the weakness of aluminum tanks in contact with foam or other structural members without the proper room for air circulation. Of course, all existing hoses, clamps, and sending units go out with the old tank.

The Chevy V8 engine. was recently rebuilt and starts right up.

I am all about safety, having survived a commercial fishing boat sinking (at night) in Alaska, so all systems will be reliable before heading offshore.

On the cosmetic side, has anyone added Sea-Dek to their boat?

How much did Sea-Dek cost per-square-foot-installed?
1980 Revenge V-22 Sterndrive

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 am

I was going to do Sea-dek on just the swim platform of my SeaPig and it was almost $500. There is a member who did most of his outrage and it looks great. A few have asked what it cost but I never saw a reply. I am assuming a couple/few grand. If you can buy it by the roll and do it yourself it might not be too bad. I think you need a good router and skills using one.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).