Rigging Tunnel Repair

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Skip Berry

Rigging Tunnel Repair

Postby Skip Berry » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:56 am

I have a 1970 Katama. I would like to seal the rigging tunnel to insure no water intrudes. I'd like to do this without tearing up the floor. Perhaps a flexible tube of some kind. Any ideas? Thanks.

Phil T

Re: Rigging Tunnel Repair

Postby Phil T » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Skip - The tube is originally sealed. Is there a problem?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Skip Berry

Postby Skip Berry » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 am

From what I can see looking down the tube with a mirror, the "lining" looks cracked.

Skip Berry

Postby Skip Berry » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:39 am

I am thinking of removing a 4" section of deck above the full length of the rigging tunnel. This would include the top half of the aluminum tube, or maybe the whole tube depending on its condition. I would then glass, barrier coat and paint the "rigging trough". I plan on using a mahogany floor board to cover the trough. Is there any concern that my plan would jeopardize the integrity of the hull or any other concerns.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 am

The strength of a Boston Whaler Unibond hulls comes from the continuous bond between the (comparatively) thin laminate shells and the high-density foam that completely fills the space between the shells.

If the top deck shell is cut so there is a rectangular opening 4-inches wide and a few feet long down the center of the cockpit, my expectation is the structural integrity of the hull would be compromised and the rigidity of the hull would be decreased. Removal of such a large section should be undertaken only in circumstances of extreme need to access something inside the hull, and the opening must be repaired and restored to a strong, solid, and durable bond of the deck section back to one piece.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Yeah....I would not feel comfortable dissecting the floor like that. I personally would just do the best I could to keep the tunnel dry. Sealing the bottom of the tube is easy. If water intrusion was happening from a leak in the top of the tube I would suspect you would have a soft floor already. If floor is solid, let sleeping dogs lay.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Skip Berry

Postby Skip Berry » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks to both jimh and biggiefl for their info and advice. I'll be putting the saw away. Biggiefl mentioned "sealing the bottom of the tube is easy". How would you go about it?

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am

From what I have read they simply mix up a batch of epoxy, pour it in at the console, tilt/lift the bow of the boat until it exits at the stern. That would be the bottom of the tube. To do the sides you would need to angle the boat either by using jacks or parking it on an incline and doing the same procedure. To do the top you would need to flip the hull but water would not be soaking in by the top unless you have the tube FILLED wil water to the top for a number of years.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).