2005 180 DAUNTLESS Water in Fastener Holes in Sump

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
tlsch377

2005 180 DAUNTLESS Water in Fastener Holes in Sump

Postby tlsch377 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 pm

I have a 2005 180 Dauntless. I bought it c.2016. I had a local Boston Whaler dealer go through everything mechanical, but they did not have any comments on the sump pump or float switch.

The Rule 40A float switch failed—actually had a short in the system and melted the housing—and was causing the float to stick and the sump pump to continuously run.

The float switch was mounted on a small rectangiular flat spot which is molded on the floor of the sump. The actual pump was on the floor of the bilge aft of the floatswitch.

When I removed the float switch I found that there was just one screw in the front end of the switch, the screw which had been in the back of the switch was missing, but a hole had been drilled. The screw holes were filled with water.

I then pulled out the bilge pump and the screw holes to that also had water seeping out. I ran pipe cleaners in and out of the holes and some acetone in hopes to help dry them.

A Jamestown technical support suggested leaving a fan in the bilge for a couple days and filling the holes with a two part epoxy. I am concerned the water will not dry up in a couple days and I will be causing more problems if I do try to epoxy in the screw holes.

Please give me advice in as much detail as possible.

jimh

Re: 2005 180 DAUNTLESS Water in Fastener Holes in Sump

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:35 am

While unfortunate that the fastener holes were not properly filled with a screw and sealant, and that these holes were in the deepest part of a sump designed to collect water and thus likely to be immersed in water, I don’t think there is truly a serous problem. The water that collected in the sump was not being forced under pressure into these small holes.

Assuming water can be kept out of the sump, I would blow hot air into the fastener holes using a hair dryer or a heat gun (on low) until the holes appeared to be dry. Then wait an hour or two, and check to see if more water has wept from the holes.

Also try using a shop-vacuum to suck out water.

My expectation is there could be a small volume of water that got into the holes, but I would not expect that the water has traveled very far into the foam surrounding the hole.

Check the hull reinforcement diagram to see what backing material is embedded at the location. If plywood, and that is likely, then perhaps you could instill some chemical—alcohol for example—to suppress any tendency for the wood to rot. Then thoroughly re-dry the holes.

At some point—although hard to say when—water should stop weeping from the holes. Reinstall the float switch and pump, and use sealant on the screws.

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you for the reply, yes when I used a heat gun yesterday, it seemed to draw water up, kind of scared me. I left a fan on in the bilge over night, but got an unexpected rain before I got up and rain water got into bilge. One step forward and two in reverse. I will go to the hair drier and try some patience and perseverance.

Other suggestions are very welcome.

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:24 pm

More information, I used a shop vac, that was a great idea. I could feel the vacuum hose getting cold as I sucked water after 10 - 15 minutes I looked in the vacuum tank, it had over a half gallon of water. I emptied the water and dried out the vacuum tank and wanted to make sure I was getting water out of the boat and the tank had not had water in it. I sucked out more water. I am going to let the boat alone for a couple hours and do it again, but shocked at how much water came threw # 6 screw holes. I hope this will work. I intend to fill holed with marine tex two part epoxy and maybe just epoxy base of pump to bottom of bilge and not drill new holes. What are you comments on that?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 am

I would not use epoxy to mount the pump base. There may come a time when an exact match replacement pump is not easily available. If so, replacing the base will be a difficult job.
Butch

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Good point about the epoxy

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 pm

If you are going to marine tex over it why not drill larger holes in screws holes from the pump in the sump of the boat and stick a small tube down there until it stops and see it you get any water. You can use a big syringe or bulb or something that will give you a strong suction. I would use 4200 or 5200 to glue the base down not epoxy.

I am surprised you sucked out 1/2 gallon of water. I am willing to bet the water is just setting on top of the foam.

conch

Postby conch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 am

I try to avoid drilling holes in the hull. Search on this site and you will learn how to fill and seal the old screw holes. I use the products from Stern Saver to fasten things to the hull in addition to transducers. My bilge pump and Racor filters are screwed into the Stern Saver blocks. The blocks are easily worked and can also be drilled and tapped for mounting to them with bolts. Stern Saver blocks are sold online and by marine stores.

Chuck

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Chuck—thank you.

To get out the water was a time consuming job.

Wish I knew how the water got between the skins, and I wish I knew for sure that all of it was out.

I replaced the original pump with a Rule-brand pump with a built-in float.

I used 3M4200 marine adhesive sealant adhere the pump to the bottom of the sump.

I filled the old screw holes with wooden rods and 3M5200 marine adhesive sealant.

Thanks to all those who responded.