Mercury Stators: OEM v. CDI

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pcrussell50

Mercury Stators: OEM v. CDI

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:07 am

I noticed that the original Mercury stators are coated in black plastic, and the stators sold by CDI are not.

Any thoughts on the advantage of one versus the other?

The outboard engine in question is used in fresh water only, but used in hot desert conditions, more than 100-degrees-F ambient.

-Peter

jimh

Re: Mercury Stators: OEM v. CDI

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 am

In marine electrical or electronic devices, the encapsulation of circuitry in some sort of a insulating coating or insulating potting material seems common. My inference about the intentions of such encapsulation is the method is done for

—the protection against entry of water,

—the stabilization against movement, and

—the uniform distribution of heat,

which all seem advantageous.

The disadvantage of encapsulation is the creation of an unrepairable assembly.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:24 pm

I live in Florida with saltwater, and I have used CDI many times without problems. Usually the cost [difference] between the two is drastic enough that you will take the risk.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Also in regard to electrical components made by aftermarket suppliers that are not encapsulated in an insulated potting material: the aftermarket manufacturer may not have the facilities to accomplish encapsulation, or may not think there is any value in encapsulation, or may incorporate changes in the design of his product compared to the OEM product that eliminate the need for encapsulation.

Based on reading anecdotal accounts of CDI products, my impression is they are of equal or better quality than the c.1980 OEM parts they replace.