Gelcoat Crack in Transom

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Joel White

Gelcoat Crack in Transom

Postby Joel White » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi - just joined the site and this is my first post. I recently purchased a 1992 Outrage 17. I noted a crack on the transom gel coat when I made the purchase, and I assume it is cosmetic but would like to get some expert advice.

crackGelCoatTransomA.jpg
Fig. 1. A crack in the gel coat at the transom
crackGelCoatTransomA.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 12927 times

The crack is what I would call a "hairline" crack, narrower than a sheet of paper. It is about 12-inches long and located in the corner of the transom where the transom goes in about an inch. The transom sounds solid when tapped. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

[Image orientation problem fixed--jimh]

NLA01

Re: Gelcoat Crack in Transom

Postby NLA01 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Can you post a picture showing exactly where that crack is located?
Archie

Joel White

Postby Joel White » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 pm

To better understand the crack location see the two attached photos. The crack is located beneath the swim platform in the corner. I hope this will give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with. After reading a bunch of posts, I think I'm convinced to take it in to a repair place and have them take a look. I live about 90-minutes north of Los Angeles if anyone has recommendations for a repair facility in my area.

Thanks for the help. I'm hoping this boat will last me through retirement.

IMG_2340.jpg
IMG_2340.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 12984 times

IMG_2342.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 12984 times

(edit - corrected orientation)

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:35 am

That drain plug looks about ready to replace.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am

JOEL—for help with image orientation oplease read this article from the INTRODUCTION forum:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2569&p=14573#p14573

For help or advice regarding using the forum, please post to the INTRODUCTION forum, and do not use a boating forum for topics about the forum itself.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Welome to the Outrage 17 family. We are a small but proud and scrappy bunch. I owned a 1991 for 7 years and now have a 1992.

Given it is a single crack I would discount it as a stress crack caused by movement in the transom and proffer that it is a result of age and an over application of gelcoat in that seam at the factory.

It is cosmetic.

If one really wants to reduce its appearance, the crack should be ground out a bit and colored gelcoat patch paste, sold by Spectrum, can be applied. Note color matching is not exact due to age and variations in production.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Joel White

Postby Joel White » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Phil - thanks for "welcome" and the response. I also contacted Boston Whaler customer support and a local experienced whaler repair shop who gave me the same reassurance that there is nothing serious to worry about. So far I love the boat and am happy to be a member of the 17 Outrage family! Happy boating.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 pm

In areas of the hull molds were a rapid curving of the surface takes place, it is common for there to be a build up in the thickness of the gel coat layer. Gel coat resin is not particularly flexible, and in thick areas the resin has a tendency to crack. It is common to see on older Boston Whaler boats that some cracks appear in the gel coat layer in certain areas of the hull which may have some bending stresses on them (such as at the transom) and where the gel coat layer is thicker than elsewhere.

Gel coat applied to flat hull surfaces will generally not be particularly thick, perhaps only 0.020 (or "twenty mils") thick. But if the gel coat layer has been build up to be much thicker, it may exhibit stress cracks.

As long as the crack is confined to the gel coat layer and the underlying laminate and resin layers are not involved, a gel coat crack is mostly a cosmetic flaw. However, a gel coat crack was probably produced by some stress on that area of the hull, so it could be seen as an indicator of some slight flexing.

In the case of a crack that extends for several inches and runs vertically along the edge of the thicker portion of the transom where the hull has embedded reinforcement material, a careful examination should be made of the stiffness and rigidity of the transom. A simple test is to tilt the outboard engine lower unit to an 45-degree angle with the transom, and then use the gear case as a lever arm, pulling up and down on the gear case while observing closely the transom for any indication of movement. On a solid transom there won't be any movement.

carreracup03

Postby carreracup03 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Since [the gel coat crack in the transom that is the topic of this discussion] is most likely cosmetic, [I recommend using] MagicEzy nine-second chip fix and MagicEzy Hairline Fix (in the hue “snow white” for Boston Whaler).

I have used both on my Outrage 17-II. [They are] amazing stuff and work great.

Somewhere [the products] won the marine product of the year.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 am

carreracup03 wrote:[I recommend using] ...MagicEzy Hairline Fix (in the hue “snow white” for Boston Whaler...

Not all Boston Whaler boat hulls use the same gel coat color. A hue that matches an OUTRAGE 17-II might not be a good match for every Boston Whaler hull, particularly hulls with a Desert Tan or Outrage Gray hull color.

carreracup03

Postby carreracup03 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:31 pm

[In my earlier post I] was just pointing out there is a product I used with good success. I was more speaking about the quality of the product, and how well it worked for me. I was actually surprised how well it looked with limited effort.

[The product] is offer in many colors. I am sure one [of the colors available in the product] would be close to another color Boston Whaler offers. The color "snow white" matches Boston Whaler "standard white" well. The manufacturer offers other white shades that might work better for slightly more weathered gel coat.The color choice is more up to the user and probably a finer art for some of the slightly weathered colors.

Some of the cracks I filled look similar to the one in [Fig. 1 above].

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:08 pm

The likely mismatch of the product you endorse as “Snow White” to many classic-era Boston Whaler boat hulls will not be due to “weathered gel coat.”

The mismatch will be due to the original gel coat color being non-white, particularly for the two Boston Whaler hull colors known as Desert Tan and Outrage Gray, as I mentioned in my earlier remark.

If the eponymous-named originator of this discussion uses your advice about the product and color to repair the crack in the transom of his Boston Whaler boat hull we can discover if the recommended product and recommended color were up to the task.

carreracup03

Postby carreracup03 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 pm

point is - I used that color for my 1998 outrage and it was a match. They make many colors, and it is up to the user to try to match it. Just pointing out that the product works on cracks, similar to the one shown in figure 1 above.