MONTAUK: Preventing Water From Collecting on Cover

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Bigbear

MONTAUK: Preventing Water From Collecting on Cover

Postby Bigbear » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 pm

My 1984 Montauk came with a canvas cover that is in good condition. Water collects in sags on the cover. What is the best way to eliminate saggy spots which collect water?

biggiefl

Re: Boat cover collects water

Postby biggiefl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Poles or bows. Most covers require the use of one or both of these to keep water from collecting.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

kwik_wurk

Re: Boat cover collects water

Postby kwik_wurk » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:24 pm

With a Montauk that has the full bow rail and console grab rail, all you need is a decent non-stretch rope greater than 50-feet long. One that can go into the anchor locker and be re-purposed; but not a three-strand nylon rope that stretches.

Also equally important: have the boat stored somewhat level, both for draining water that actually gets inside and on the cover. If the boat is stored at a notable angle, poles and bows may be required.

This is probably obvious, but the rope setup has three legs, making a Y, and optionally can cross at the transom, three tension loops (one per leg), and the actual attachment points can vary depending on cover design.

First leg: center-line of the bow rail (optional to bow eye) ---> center line console grab rail
Second leg: center line of console ---> Port lift eye interior or exterior; I use interior
Optional: Port lift eye ---> Cover (center line of splash well) ---> Starboard Lift eye
Third leg: center line of console ---> Starboard lift eye interior or exterior; I use interior

One leg will have to be doubled up if a continuous rope is used. Each leg has a tension loop--make sure you plan these out--tighten the rope after a few days or once it gets wet and takes a set. A 50-foot-lone-rope is a bit short. I think mine is 75-feet-long and has plenty of excess.

My cover drains into the splash well and has an underside loop (at the splash well) for pulling the cover tight, but not providing a path for water to travel.

If the bow eye is used and knots and loops are done correctly this should not add any abnormal tension or stress to the rails.

The rope setup sees a lot of rain where I live. It has handled 16-feet-snow load with no problem. I just broom off the snow. I had very little ice build up.

Also I keep the RPS forward, just to keep the cover from touching the wood.

jimh

Re: MONTAUK: Preventing Water From Collecting on Cover

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 am

Bigbear wrote:What is the best way to eliminate saggy spots which collect water?

Use a pole to create a high spot.

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm

I would like to see photos of the rope configuration described. I have a 2005 180 Dauntless and have fought water collecting on the cover. My boat has bow rails and stern rails.

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:00 am

I’ll try for a quick layout this weekend.