De-watering Fuel Tank Cavity After Removal of all Foam

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
floater

De-watering Fuel Tank Cavity After Removal of all Foam

Postby floater » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:01 pm

After having the fuel tank [on a REVENGE] submerged with rain water several times and getting the subsequent water intrusion into the gasoline, I added a 12-Volt-operated pump. This is the best mod I've ever done to my REVENGE. This modification was relatively inexpensive and has been in use now for over two years.

FUEL TANK CAVITY HAS NO FOAM
When I refurbished the REVENGE boat's fuel tank a few years ago I didn't foam it into place. I jammed playroom mats into the side areas around the tank, leaving space for water to run around the tank. Every time it rains it's a simple matter to remove all the standing water. Excess water around the tank washing forwards into the cabin whenever I towed the boat to the ramp has also been eliminated. The flow of water into the cabin sump used to make a mess forward.

DSCN2773.jpg
DSCN2773.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 7061 times

THE MODIFICATION
I glued a clear hose on the inside of the fuel tank cavity at the aft end starboard wall near where the two fuel lines pass through the wall to the rigging tunnel and sump. I used a 90-degree fitting. I fed the clear hose into the rigging tunnel and sump and leave it curled up in there until needed.

DSCN2795.jpg
DSCN2795.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 7061 times

USING THE MODIFICATION
After a heavy rainfall I hook a 12-Volt-operated water pump to the [boat's] battery. I fit the clear plastic plastic hose into a garden hose end that is threaded onto the pump. After attaching to the battery, the pump will drain the entire fuel tank cavity in about 15 minutes.

This pump is from Princess Auto and sells for 70 to 100 canadian. I've had mine for about three years now with no problems.

pump.jpg
pump.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
Attachments
pumphose.jpg
pumphose.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 7061 times

jimh

Re: De-watering Fuel Tank Cavity After Removal of all Foam

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Based on your narrative, I presume the pump you are using is self-priming and can tolerate 24-inches or more of lift to the pump inlet.

Please give details of the pump that was used. You mention that the cost was "relatively inexpensive." Please give a better figure for the pump cost.

I am interested in the details of the pump and the cost because in another boat I used a similar self-priming pump to de-water a deep sump. I used a bellow-type JABSCO/PAR Model 36600-000. I installed that pump many years ago, and the cost at that time was "relatively inexpensive" at only $197. I recently checked on the current 2019 price for the pump: it was around $500, which I no longer consider as "relatively inexpensive."

Also, I do not believe your modification is workable unless the fuel tank cavity has already been extensively modified by removal of all the foam. The pump itself seems to be only a minor part of the overall modification.

floater

Re: De-watering Fuel Tank Cavity After Removal of all Foam

Postby floater » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm

The pump used was purchased at Princess Auto. I believe you have Harbour Freight down there in the States. It's a simple 12 volt water pump. Costs between $70 to $100-Canadian. As you can now see in the photos, posted with the help of Phil T, all the foam was removed from around the tank. The tank is held in very well by the combination of the straps and the foam Play Room Mats. It's never moved since install. Not pictured is the thin foam/rubber strips the tank originally rested on. The pump is stored in the cabinet under the steering wheel when not being used. Next year I will mount it to a board and fix this board to the starboard wall near the bilge. I will also add a switch and fuse and this will make it more accessible and able to use at any time.