1995 Rage 14 OMC 115 Overheat

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jmhere

1995 Rage 14 OMC 115 Overheat

Postby Jmhere » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Does anyone have a flow diagram for this cooling system?
And can the thermostat and poppits be replaced without pulling the entire thing out? Seams like I can feel the 3 screws but that's about it. If it gets stuck I don't see a way to pull off the cover?

I have a overheat alarm about 1 min after getting on it to plane but at idle I'm fine.

I have what looks like good flow out the exhaust ports, but there are two other holes back at the jet plate that no water is coming out of. One on the top which is connected to the top side rear of exhaust and another to the left side of the jet plate that barely trickles water out. Trying to determine if they should have any flow...

turbojetmarine

Re: 1995 Rage 14 OMC 115 Overheat

Postby turbojetmarine » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Water flow diagram is available on-line at www.turbojetmarineproducts.com.

Most people pull the engine out of the boat to change the thermostats because its only 3 motor mount bolts and the entire engine can be lifted out.

If your thermostats are going to be replaced, you should replace all the related parts. I.E. pressure relief valves, grommets, gaskets, and springs.

The 2 holes on the housing near the shift cable connector on top only flow water above 2000 RPM or 20PSI when the pressure relief valve opens.
You will see this in the water flow diagram when you look at it.

Jmhere

Postby Jmhere » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks, I was able to pull all the water jacket covers from the heads and get to the thermostats. But all was clear and the thermostats work. Passageways are clear. Either I have bad sensors or somethings up with the exhaust. But I have good flow, so this is confusing.

Do you need thermostats? Id rather just keep the coolest water running through.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:50 am

Don't jets get their cooling from the jet flow itself? Is there a clog getting to the engine? Is the flow sufficient? When my clearance was too much on my old jetski not only did it lack power but it lacked cooling. Poppits might be the problem but getting to them is usually a bear on an outboard due to the lower cowling. How is it set up on a Rage as it has been a while since I messed with one.

No you do not need thermos but it might run too cool(if in top condition). I would try running w/o and see what she does.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

turbojetmarine

Postby turbojetmarine » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Excessive Clearance can cause an overheat but you can pull the jet pump off and measure it.
Max clearance is 0.050" so anywhere close to that could add to your problem.

YES the thermostats are needed otherwise the engine will run cold. A cold 2 stroke engine will not burn all the fuel away during the combustion process so the gas washes the oil away and the engine wears itself out in about 1 season.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 am

That is not true. I have owned quite a few engine where people have removed the stats and they did not self destruct. If anything I built more carbon.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).