MT-3 with 2007 Mercury 30-HP

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
hermit

MT-3 with 2007 Mercury 30-HP

Postby hermit » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm

After reading threads here about the cost and benefits of re-plating and otherwise rejuvenating MORSE MT-2 controls, I decided to replace the MT-2 and cables. I like the classic style of the MT-2, and so I prefer to buy and install a new MT-3--if that is a practical alternative. .

The boat has a 2007 Mercury four stroke EFI outboard.

My understanding is that I can buy the MT-3, a pair of 3300/33C type universal cables of appropriate length, and control adapters for mating the cables to the Mercury outboard. Is this sufficient?

The MT-3 data sheet at seastarsolutions.com lists two versions:

--MT3 Single CH5310P
--MT3 Single (with pull cable action for both shift and throttle) CH5330P

Which one is needed for a 2007 Mercury 30-HP?

If this is not a good way to go, using the current Mercury top mountcontrol is an easier path to take.

The easiest path to "all new" is a Mercury side-mount control, but I see no attractive location for mounting it on the Katama console.

jimh

Re: MT-3 with 2007 Mercury 30-HP

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 am

I am not expert on this, but I believe the difference in the two MORSE MT-3 control models is related to the direction that the mechanical cables will move when the throttle handle is pushed forward.

There is a variation among outboard engine remote controls by brand regarding the direction of movement needed in the mechanical cables in order to cause an increase in throttle. If you have remote controls now for the 2007 Mercury 30-HP engine, you should be able to remove the engine cowling and observe the direction of movement of the mechanical control cable ends at the engine as you move the throttle handle on the remote.

I browsed the seastarsolutions.com website, but they do not seem to explain this very well nor offer much guidance. I would contact them directly for further information for you particular application.

hermit

Re: MT-3 with 2007 Mercury 30-HP

Postby hermit » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:58 am

The Owner's Manual and Service Manual for the outboard arrive today. Perhaps one of them will provide information.

The Seastar site throws up a reoccurring invitation to chat, but apparently I would have to join Facebook to use it. I will look for an e-mail address. Another possibility to have the question answered is the West Marine website, one source for the MT-3.