2001 DAUNTLESS 16 Inwale Rod Rack

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
B.E.Coyote

2001 DAUNTLESS 16 Inwale Rod Rack

Postby B.E.Coyote » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Please post a picture of the shock cord set up for the rod racks that shows how the cord attaches to the screw above the rod rack on a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16 or other model year or DAUNTLESS 18.

I bought Flameer-brand hinges with 150-degree-detent on eBay and Amazon for about $15 a pair. The Boston Whaler OEM hinges look similar and are four times more expensive. They [that is, the Boston Whaler hinges] may be better quality or they might be the exact same thing [as the Flameer-brand hinges sold on-line, or vice versa].

Fig. 1. Some hinges, either the OEM hinges or the ones bought on-line
Fig. 2. Some more hinges, photographed with very unusual lighting that makes it difficult to see anything clearly.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

Jefecinco

Re: Boston Whaler Dauntless Folding rod holders.

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:57 am

The "shock cords" were the first things I had to replace on our Dauntless 16. They were rubber with a hook on one end an an eye on the other. The hinges never needed replacement. I found the replacement cords at our local Bass Pro Shop for very small money.

I never found the side mount rod holders to be very useful. Reels protruded into the passage between the gunwales and the console which invited conflicts with legs.

Our solution was to buy some good quality stainless steel tubular rod holders and mount hem to the side rails on the inside side so as not to interfere with the boat cover. We installed four which were sufficient given the other four holders mounted to the front of the console. We bought West Marine branded holders on sale. They are on sale several times per year and when buying four may be worth a short wait.
Butch

B.E.Coyote

Re: Boston Whaler Dauntless Folding rod holders.

Postby B.E.Coyote » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm

I agree, I don't think I will ever use these but this hull is nicer than my last and the empty space of where the rod holders should have been bugged me.
I would not have put them back on if I had to pay $30 x 8 for all the original hinges.

My 2000 came with all hinges broken and all of the swing out part of the rod holders missing. My 2001 came with every hing broken but the missing one stowed in the center console.

I have plenty of shock cord and small parts laying around from my kayak fishing. If was planning I could put the OEM look back to it with what I had laying around or for just a buck or two I would.

I have Scotty mounts on the rails. Also left over from my kayaks, and I just needed the rail adapters.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

B.E.Coyote

Re: Inwale Rod Rack

Postby B.E.Coyote » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Flameer is the brand of the hinge. A search on eBay or Amazon with that name may locate a hinge like the ones seem in Figure 1and 2.

Figure 2 is a bad picture. It show two hinges. One with the screw covers on, one with the screw covers off.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach