c.1996 Mercury Remote Control Shift Adjustments

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
fisherman53

c.1996 Mercury Remote Control Shift Adjustments

Postby fisherman53 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:13 am

I have a [1996--please always use four-digits to indicate a year] Mercury-Force-Mariner [40-HP outboard engine.] I spent hours trying to adjust the shifting cable .

Q1: when you are in neutral should the propeller not move in either direction?

Q2: should the propeller be free to spin in both directions?

Q3: when looking at cable positioning and trying to set adjuster, should you try to make sure it fits with proper alignment with where the bolt cable back up?

The need to make an adjustment was loss of Reverse. Please give me suggestions on adjusting shifting cable on this [1996] Mercury-Force-Mariner 40 so it can shift into all three gear positions.

jimh

Re: c.1996 Mercury Remote Control Shift Adjustments

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:21 am

If making repairs or adjustments to an outboard engine, I recommend you invest in the factory service manual for the engine. The factory service manual will typically have detailed procedures for properly setting mechanical clearances and adjustments on the engine. Trying to work on an engine without the information from the manual can be a time-consuming method of repair.

rtk

Postby rtk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:53 am

A manual is a definite must to troubleshoot this problem if you are not familiar with the way conventional shift cables work.

Most if not all outboards I have owned did this:

Gearcase in neutral = propeller would rotate freely in both directions
Gearcase in forward or reverse = propeller would rotate freely only in one direction- clockwise or counter clockwise.

First I would disconnect the shift cable from the engine

Second I would attempt to manually shift the lower unit into forward, reverse and neutral then take note of ability and direction that the propeller can be moved.

Third I would compare my results to specifications in a service manual.

That would tell me that at a minimum the engine shift mechanism and lower unit are functioning as it minimally should. This would cause me to then look at the operation of the remote control- is the remote control moving the cable properly?

If all looks basically well I would then refer to a service manual to determine the proper procedure for adjusting the shift and throttle cables at the engine.

Rich

rtk

Postby rtk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Gearcase in forward or reverse = propeller would rotate freely only in one direction- clockwise or counter clockwise.

This I believe is incorrect- my sincere apologies. I checked a couple outboards this morning and the propeller did not rotate freely at all when the gearcase is in forward or reverse.

Rich