Trailer Bunk Inward Tilt for OUTRAGE 18 Hull

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
afinelli

Trailer Bunk Inward Tilt for OUTRAGE 18 Hull

Postby afinelli » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 pm

In preparation for winter storage of my 1989 Whaler 18, I recently removed the 8-foot bottom bunks of my trailer to re-carpet them and recondition or replace as needed the rusted upright and swivel brackets that the bottom bunks are attached to. I was careful to replace this support hardware at the same location and height on the frame as they came down from, but realized I had failed to take some measure of the pivot angle of the bunk boards before removing them.

I’m not sure “pivot angle” is the right technical term, but if it helps clarify, I’m not talking about the horizontal pitch of the bunks from forward to aft, but the slightly inward rotation or tilt of the boards toward the hull on each side, that helps form a cradle for the hull to rest on. I did tilt each bunk inward slightly, but was guessing at what would be appropriate and am looking for some guidance as to how concerned to be about this. I’d prefer not to find out what the right way is, the hard way. If it makes a difference, the trailer is a Magic Tilt Magic Trail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jimh

Re: Trailer Bunk Inward Tilt for OUTRAGE 18 Hull

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm

If the bunks are hinged to the vertical supports below them, can you just assemble them with the hinge-pin bolt hand tight? When you put the boat back on the trailer the bunks will self-align to the hull. Then you can tighten the hinge bolt.

afinelli

Postby afinelli » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am

Sounds right to me. Thanks.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 am

Ditto.......
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).