1997 Outrage 17 Trim Tabs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jwaters58

1997 Outrage 17 Trim Tabs

Postby jwaters58 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am

I may install trim tabs on my 1997 Outrage 17. Give me a recommendation on which trim tabs to use.

What should I watch out for [when installing trim tabs on a 1997 OUTRAGE 17]?

I re-powered with a heavy engine and the boat runs bow-high. You take a pretty good beating in a chop .

Thanks

jimh

Re: 1997 Outrage 17 Trim Tabs

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am

You will find some guidance about installation of trim tabs in the REFERENCE article on that topic. See

Trim Tab Installation
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trimTabs.html

That article's focus is on choosing a location on the transom for the trim tabs, which is often made complex by the transom design on Boston Whaler boats. The article does not try to choose or recommend a particular brand or particular size of trim tab for every Boston Whaler boat. Perhaps a reader with an OUTRAGE 17 can offer some first-hand experience with tab location, brand, and size.

jwaters58

Postby jwaters58 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks for this info.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:23 am

A further consideration when installing trim tabs on the transom of a boat that will be towed on a trailer is possible interference by the trim tabs with the path of a trailer hold-down strap that connects to a transom towing eye.

BBS

Postby BBS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:56 pm

[The observation] that [trim tab installation can cause interference with trailer tie-down straps] is correct, but [the interference] can be overcome [by modification of the location on the trailer for the trailer end of the tie-down strap].

I bought an 8 x 8 pressure treated post and cut it on a bandsaw. I through-bolted it to the existing bunks with 1/2-inch diameter stainless all-thread. Then I used a through-bolted eye bolt, which was located 7-1/2-inches closer to the centerline of the trailer.

7B783553-8CF5-45A9-9C2A-96F3848EFBE6.jpeg
Fig. 2. Modification to trailer to avoid interference with tie-down strap from added trim tab
7B783553-8CF5-45A9-9C2A-96F3848EFBE6.jpeg (18.46 KiB) Viewed 17570 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 pm

The modification to the trailer looks like it creates new interference with loading the boat onto the trailer.

Routing a cable or hose from the trim tab through the towing eye is a poor rigging practice. Cables or hoses for transom mounted devices should be held down to the transom with a cable clamp, and they should not pass through any sort of captivating hole in the transom, and not through a fitting like a towing eye.

rtk

Postby rtk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm

I like the electric trim tab system as opposed to the hydraulic system for a small boat. I can't offer anything about size and location for your boat.

The pump and fluid reservoir for the hydraulic system needs an accessible space for servicing and you have to run hydraulic lines from the pump to the actuators. Additional space will be needed for the hydraulic supply lines. If my memory serves me correct the hydraulic lines do not do well with tight radius bends. Plus you have another fluid to check and a mess to deal with if you need to service the pump.

I removed a hydraulic trim tab system and replaced it with a LENCO electric trim tab system a long while back on my 1997 21 OUTRAGE. I gained a fair amount of space in the console by removing the pump and the hydraulic fluid lines. The wires that supply current to the actuators were a pleasure to run. Really no different then routing a transducer cable from the transom to the unit at the console. An approximately 3 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch "control box", the trim tab switch and the two 14/2 or so wires from the actuators is all that is needed at the console.

A big plus was when an actuator failed a couple years beyond the warranty expiration date LENCO sent me one free of charge with apologies. I like that- thought that was a nice customer service move.

Looks like BENNETT MARINE now offers an all electric system. I do not believe that was an option when I was making the decision.

Rich

Meyer

Postby Meyer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 pm

I installed the Bennett BOLT electric tabs this year on my 1997 Outrage 20. So far I am very happy with this choice (Installation and performance)

A couple of items to consider:

-Based on my research, I ordered the 12 x 12 tabs. When it came time to install, i came to realize that Whaler had molded a "ridge" into the bottom of the transom on both sides. On my boat, these were covered with bottom paint, so I did not notice them until I started prepping for the install. It was clear that these ridges were set up for the factory tabs, which further research indicated were 9 inches wide. 12 x 12 tabs would not fit flush against the transom. Luckily Bennett was kind enough to trade my mine in for 12 x 9. Recommend checking your transom before ordering.

-Installation was very straight forward. If you have a swim platform on your 17, some dremel work might be required to free up space for the actuator connection. Several good pictures of this available via Googling.

-A very nice feature (IMHO) of the Bennett's is the availability of the "Auto Retract" option - when the power at the key is turned off, the tabs automatically raise to trailering position.

- New since i installed, but looking very interesting, is an updated line of integrated control panels, including joystick.

Good Luck!

rtk

Postby rtk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:43 am

My LENCO trim tabs would also auto-retract when I shut the 12 volt power switch off- I agree that it is a very nice feature. A lit trim tab position indicator incorporated into the trim tab control rocker switch is another great feature I would look for in any brand.

Rich

jwaters58

Postby jwaters58 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks everyone for the info.