255 Conquest Adding Rod Holders to Aluminum Supports

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
njjwil255

255 Conquest Adding Rod Holders to Aluminum Supports

Postby njjwil255 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:10 am

I am considering adding two clamp-on rod holders somewhere on the aluminum supports of a 2011 255 Conquest, but I am undecided where they will best fit. I don't want them to be in the way or in an area where people will hit their head on one. [Seeks] suggestions on how to add rod holders on a 2011 255 CONQUEST.

jimh

Re: 255 Conquest Adding Rod Holders to Aluminum Supports

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Since the rod holders you will be adding will be clamped onto the existing aluminum structure you plan to clamp them to, it seems you will be able to easily re-locate them if you initially put them somewhere that turns out to be "in the way" or where "people will hit their head on one." This flexibility should give you the option of moving them if you find they are not a good fit at their initial location. Therefore I recommend you proceed with the installation and do on-the-water testing with rods and people. Just make everyone wear a hat while aboard.

ASIDE: I was going to make a comparison to having the rod holders welded onto the existing structure and being immovable, but then a conversation I had many years ago came to mind. I was chatting with a fellow who build his own 35-foot sailboat from steel and did all the welding himself--he was a professional welder by trade. We were talking about the layout of the rigging and fittings, and he said to me: "Of course, with a welded steel boat, the design is never finished. If I decide I don't like the location of a cleat or a table or something, I just cut it off and re-weld it somewhere else."

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I would not have them anywhere near anyone's head. Most are designed for railing mount and are waist height or lower. Something like that in a rough sea could be a disaster if hit with their noggin.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:53 pm

BIGGIE--good idea. Maybe a little head scratchin' is needed to figure out where to put the rod holders.