RACOR Fuel Filter Clear Bowl Falls Off

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
davidvee

RACOR Fuel Filter Clear Bowl Falls Off

Postby davidvee » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Recently my RACOR fuel filter started dropping its clear plastic bowl in the bilge making a big mess, and even happened while underway. What is going on?

I have had the system for 15 years, and have replaced the filter element each year, But now the bowl threads won't grip.

Q1: Is [the cause] just old-age:

Q2: Or, is the cause due to ethanol?

Q3: Can I switch to a filter without a bowl?

Q4: Should I?
Last edited by davidvee on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: RACOR Fuel Filter Clear Bowl Falls Off

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:53 pm

The clear bowl used on older RACOR fuel filters can be softened or distorted by gasoline with ethanol if the concentration of ethanol was greater than 1:9 with gasoline (that is, "10-percent" ethanol). The older bowls should have been tolerant of ethanol-gasoline at 1:9 ratios, but could be affected by higher concentrations.

RACOR has new clear bowls that are less affected by gasoline with ethanol. See this 2016 bulletin from PARKER about problems with the clear bowls and gasoline diluted with ethanol, and how to remedy the problem with a new bowl:

https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor ... ilters.pdf

If the bowl on your RACOR fuel filter does not have the letters "PUR" or "Z" embossed into the bowl and a yellow tint, you most likely have an older bowl. If the bowl has a blue or clear tint, it probably needs to be replaced.

Cf.: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4500&p=25762#p25762

Since the bowl under discussion won't thread onto the filter, it certainly needs to be replaced. Replacement with a newer type clear bowl should provide a remedy.

Re the replacement interval: once every year seems quite frequent. My diligence at replacing the RACOR fuel filter is much lower. So low, in fact, I am embarrassed to say how long it has been in service.

davidvee

Postby davidvee » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 pm

[What is] a replacement filter without a bowl that will spin-on to the mount I have now?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:45 am

I believe you are looking for a Fram or similar disposable filter. The virtue of the Racor see-through filter is that you can see the contents. That is one reason it is so popular with commercial and recreational boaters. The new filter has enjoyed excellent reviews on various boating blogs. I recommend you replace your filter bowel with the improved version. Contact Parker/Racor for a replacement at no cost. At one time they were providing free replacements.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:52 pm

davidvee wrote:[What is] a replacement filter without a bowl that will spin on to the mount I have now?

Readers don't know any details about the mount you have now. In boating there are just two common mountings for spin-on fuel filters. There is the oddball mount used by OMC, and then there are all the rest, just about universally used. RACOR makes filters to fit both mounts.

To deduce what mount you have now, get the PART NUMBER off the RACOR FILTER that you have now. From this part number you can deduce the thread by looking up the specifications for the filter. The filter details mention the threading of the filter. Buy another RACOR filter without the clear bowl or buy another brand that will "fit the mount" you "have now."

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 am

Racor does make a solid bottom bowl that can be used on that filter, this one does is made for below deck around inboards where clear bowls are not legal. Like this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--b32020mam-fuel-filter-water-separator-with-metal-bowl-10-microns--411520?recordNum=59

This way you can still have the function and it is much safer. No worries about the bowl. Or you could replace with a solid Racor filter for sure.

Like this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--s3227-spin-on-fuel-filter-water-separator-replacement-cartridge-filter--507525?recordNum=6

I would not use some other brand filter on the Racor base. The plastic bowls do have a short life but I have never heard of one falling off. Did the center threads fail on the bowl? Was the bowl cracking from age? Or it is just not handling ethanol because of age. The new filter should be fine though like you had but new model that can handle ethanol.

Archie

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:55 am

If the bowl was old enough to be harmed by Ethonal. You may want to check your fuel line too.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

Acassidy wrote:If the bowl was old enough to be harmed by Ethonal. You may want to check your fuel line too.

Good suggestion.

Also, check the ethanol content of the fuel. If there was enough ethanol in the fuel to distort the plastic of the RACOR fuel bowl, it may be doing harm to other fuel system components.

davidvee

Postby davidvee » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:50 pm

Racor finally agreed to send me a free replacement made of impervious plastic, so i hope this is it.

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Here is the link to the Racor bulletin about the change in bowl material.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Racor ... ilters.pdf