2002 255 Conquest Windshield Leak SURVEY and eight questions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Johnwjmw

2002 255 Conquest Windshield Leak SURVEY and eight questions

Postby Johnwjmw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 am

SURVEY QUESTION: has any Boston Whaler 255 CONQUEST windshield on a c.2002 boat ever leaked?

Q2: is a leak on on the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST able to be repaired?

Q3: or, are leaks on the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST unable to be repaired?

Q4: are leaks on the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST due to total failure of every gasket component on the windshield?

I feel the water is coming through the rubber gasket that lays on the deck that the windshield sits on. [Replacement of that gasket] would mean removing the whole unit [windsheld] and replacing that gasket.

Q5: where can the gasket on which the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST lays be obtained?

Q6: will Boston Whaler have the gasket on which the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST lays as a replacement part?

Q7: is the gasket on which the windshield of a c.2002 255 CONQUEST lays part of a universal gasket system?

I also fear that the windshield on a c.2002 255 CONQUEST is leaking from all the external perimeter seals that outline the entire outer perimeter of the windshield.

Q8: can the whole system of external perimeter seals be replaced?

The 2019 boating season was the first season I’ve owned this boat. I’m sure I inherited this problem when I bought it

The leak in the windshield needs to be remedied. It is annoying. With all the rain we’ve had here in the northeast, rolling up towels and [using them to stop ingress of water around the windshield] is not how I want to stop the leak.

Look forward to your feedback— Thanks

jimh

Re: 2002 255 Conquest Windshield Leak SURVEY and eight questions

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 am

Johnwjmw wrote:Q6: will Boston Whaler have the gasket as a replacement part?

The best method to determine if a replacement part for a Boston Whaler boat is available is to contact a Boston Whaler dealer who has a very good part department. I recommend you contact Twin Cities Marine in Wisconsin, and speak to the parts manager, Sue.

I doubt that Boston Whaler was the original manufacturer of a rubber gasket material, so it is likely that some other firm made the gasket. If you cannot obtain the gasket material from Boston Whaler, you may be able to discover who was the manufacturer of the gasket by contacting Boston Whaler customer service. Boston Whaler customer service often has knowledge of the OEM manufacturer of components used in Boston Whaler boats which are no long available via Boston Whaler or its dealers.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 am

Johnwjmw wrote:SURVEY QUESTION: has any Boston Whaler 255 CONQUEST windshield on a c.2002 boat ever leaked?

Good luck with your survey question. If you receive a statistically significant number of replies, please post the results. I anticipate the answers will predominantly be "yes." Just about every windshield on every boat leaks a bit.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:23 am

Johnwjmw wrote:...With all the rain we’ve had here in the northeast...

If you are in the northeastern USA, contact NAUSET MARINE on Cape Cod. They are a long-time Boston Whaler dealer and may be able to offer some advice.

Contact Boston Whaler customer service in Edgewater, Florida. They have expert knowledge on Boston Whaler boats and may be able to offer some advice about how the windshield on a c.2002 255 CONQUEST might leak, how to remedy the leak, and where repair parts can be obtained.

Typically Boston Whaler does not fabricate curved glass or plexiglass components used in boat windshields. They probably bid out that job to a fabricator who specializes in making curved glass or plexiglass marine components, including the associated aluminum anodized frames that contain them.

Johnwjmw

Postby Johnwjmw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:28 am

Hi Jimh— Thanks for processing my request for info on windshield [leak frequency of occurrence of c.2002 CONQUEST 255 boats] into a survey.I will check here daily to see what feedback I get.

Also— I appreciate your suggestions and will contact the resources you included here. Thank you again

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 am

If you want to know the true frequency for the occurrence of leaks in a c.2002 255 CONQUEST windshield, you are going to have to collect a lot of information in order to get a statistically significant answer.

I have not experienced a leak in a c.2002 255 CONQUEST, but based on my experience with boat windshields in general, particularly ones that have opening panels, there is an extremely high probability for a boat windshield to leak water in certain conditions of rain or spray. I think a leak in a boat windshield is quite likely, particularly when the windshield is a separate assembly that sits atop the molded fiberglass superstructure of the boat.

WhalinConq255

Re: 2002 255 Conquest Windshield Leak SURVEY Three New Questions

Postby WhalinConq255 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 am

[In response to the survey question:] I have a 2008 Conquest 255. I have small amounts of water pooling under the windshield after heavy rains.

Additional questions:

Q9: How can the windshield be repaired to prevent water from pooling?

Q10: How expensive will the repair be?

Q11: How work-intensive will the repair be?

If you have performed the repair, please let me have your answers to the three questions. Thank you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm

WhalinConq255 wrote:Q9: How can the windshield be repaired to prevent water from pooling?

If the leak of water is not due to a crack or void in the windshield itself, the windshield will not need repair. The most likely cause of water pooling under the windshield is from a poorly sealed joint between the windshield and its frame, the windshield frame joints to other segments of the windshield, or the joint of frame to the hull, or from ingress of water through canvas or other porous covers.

The source of the leak should be identified. One method to accomplish this is to be aboard the boat during a very heavy rain, or to simulate very heavy rain with a hose. Careful visual observation should permit you to locate the source of the leak. Once the source of the leak is identified, the method to repair should be clear.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:50 pm

WhalinConq255 wrote:Q10: How expensive will the repair be?
Q11: How work-intensive will the repair be?
These questions cannot be answered until the actual source of the leak is identified.