1996 21 Outrage Soft Transom Repair

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
21 Outrage

1996 21 Outrage Soft Transom Repair

Postby 21 Outrage » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:21 pm

I have a 1996 21 Outrage that has been a fantastic boat. I purchased it used in c.2012.

When using the 21 Outrage this last weekend, I noticed that the transom is moving.

I have had many Boston Whaler boats, and I never expected to see a soft transom. The previous owner did not take care of the boat very well.

Q1: can the transom be repaired?

Q2: what products are used as replacements for the factory wood?

I am hoping to get in contact with someone that has dealt with this before; or to get in contact with someone who can recommend a repair shop that is trustworthy and can do a proper repair.

jimh

Re: 1996 21 Outrage Soft Transom Repair

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:43 pm

A1: loss of structural rigidity and resistance to flexing in the transom of a Boston Whaler hull can be repaired.

A2: marine plywood, the original material for transom reinforcement, is a good choice for a replacement material.

Without knowing where you are located, to suggest a repair shop will be impossible.

21 Outrage

Postby 21 Outrage » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Thank you. [The boat is] in south Florida.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Contact Boston Whaler in north Florida and ask for a recommended repair shop, or contact a dealer near you.

There is a long-time Boston Whaler dealer in Ft. Lauderdale: Lauderdale Marine. They've been in business since 1948, so they've probably seen a few boats with soft transoms before.

L78steve

Postby L78steve » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 pm

[Boathaus Marine in Sarasota, Florida] is top notch
1988 15' Sport, 89 Johnson 70HP
1998 22' Progression Merc 300XP
1961 12' Allstar FG 73 Evinrude 25

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 am

On most [wet transoms] I have seen replaced in Florida, the repair is done by pouring an epoxy-mix into transom and not by using wood. This way you retain the OEM fiberglass and gel coat skins, only hollow out the inside from the top, and pour in the mix. It get in places where you normally would not be able to reach with wood, mat, and resin. This method is not expensive and can actually be done by an amateur.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am

Regarding an amateur using a large volume of epoxy to fill a void in the transom: the curing of epoxy is an exothermic reaction. If a large volume of epoxy is poured into a void that is large enough to replace all the original wood in a 21-foot boat transom, the process of the curing will release a lot heat. Care must be taken to not have an excessive volume of just pure epoxy sitting in one container and curing. The epoxy will get very hot--in fact it will get so hot it will melt a thermoplastic container. Usually epoxy is mixed with some sort of thickener material that will also add strength to the cured form. I cannot offer advice on exactly what to use for a thickener, but I do think it appropriate to offer a warning about the heat generation that can occur during curing.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

[The material used to fill a large volume void in a transom as part of a replar] might be a special type epoxy.

I have never done [a transom repair by filling a large volume void with an epoxy] but I have seen the results. My friend who never worked on transoms removed his engine, and he took a chainsaw to the inside of his transom. Once hollowed out, he poured [the material] and then capped [the opening into the transom]. The repair looked great and was like steel. It also will not rot again.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 am

About 10 years ago someone at my marina [used the product Seacast to repair the transom of] an old Grady-White. [The transom of "an old Grady-White" was] hollowed out with an electric chain saw, cleaned, dried out, and [the product Seacast was] poured [into the newly created void in the old transom].

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:46 pm

"Old Grady-White" boats are somewhat infamous for wet plywood in their transoms.

Many boats use wood, usually plywood, as a reinforcement for the transom area. For the internal wood reinforcement to become wet, there must be some means for seawater or rainwater to get inside the hull laminate. A usual suspect for an access path for water to get inside the hull laminate at the transom is the engine mounting bolt holes. Improper sealing of the engine mounting bolts will create a risk of water intrusion. Also, any fitting such as a SONAR transponder that is fastened to the transom below the water line may let water into the hull laminate.

In Boston Whaler boats the engine splash well drains, if continually immersed in seawater due to the static trim on the boat, can also be a source of water ingress into the laminate of the transom.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:56 pm

biggiefl wrote:[The material used to fill a large volume void in a transom as part of a replar] might be a special type epoxy.

I have never done [a transom repair by filling a large volume void with an epoxy] but I have seen the results. My friend who never worked on transoms removed his engine, and he took a chainsaw to the inside of his transom. Once hollowed out, he poured [the material] and then capped [the opening into the transom]. The repair looked great and was like steel. It also will not rot again.

The Seacast is attractive, but when I looked into it there were some concerns on bonding between the poured core and the inner and outer skins. I'm sure there are plenty of boats out there where it's just fine, but I did a lot of research before pouring a transom years ago. At the time there were 3 material options:

- Seacast - cheap and easy, chain saw method
- Arjay - Used by some shops, seemed to have good results
-Nidapour - Used by OEM builders and also shops restoring boats. I talked with the material engineer at the company and decided this was the way to go.

Bond strength is the key to a lasting transom and since the chainsaw method does not allow for surface prep and chemical cleaning, I cut the exterior skin off and then prepped by sanding with 36 grit and layed up a later of glass with unwaxed polyester resin on the inner and outer skins, which creates a super strong bond with the core material when poured, and then glassed the outer skin back on with support to prevent bowing during the pour.

As for bonding with a pourable core, the best to worst.

1. fully prepped surface with a fresh skin of glass/resin before pouring

2. If not skinning, then prime with Ato Prime - No idea where to get it... then pour

3. Sand/grind with 36 grit, clean and pour

5. Chain saw method then pour material

I did a detailed write up with many pics on a boat restoration site about 8 years ago. I'd be happy to share more details and pics if anyone is interested.

I feel that a poreable transom is the best solution and the most solid of anything available. I took a sample piece and soaked it in saltwater for over 3 months and then tried breaking with a hammer and chisel and it was extremely difficult.

D-