Battery relocation from stern to console- Montauk

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Bigbear

Battery relocation from stern to console- Montauk

Postby Bigbear » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Is anyone aware of specific information on the relocation of a starter battery from the stern of a Montauk to the console area on a Montauk? I did search this section of the website and others but did not find any significant information.

Thanks in advance, Bigbear

Phil T

Re: Battery relocation from stern to console- Montauk

Postby Phil T » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:09 pm

I moved the battery from the stern to the console on my 1987 Montauk and my 1991 Outrage 17.

Here is a relevant thread: http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3367&p=19098

Search results: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com&q=montauk+move+battery&btnG=Google+Search

What do you want to know?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Battery relocation from stern to console- Montauk

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:37 am

Bigbear wrote:Is anyone aware of specific information on the relocation of a starter battery from the stern of a Montauk to the console area on a Montauk?

It is better to ask for advice rather than to ask if anyone knows the information or where to find the information. I am not sure if you want a survey of how many people have this information or know where to find it, or if you are seeking the information itself.

Since your inquiry was for a specific boat model, I have moved it out of SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL, a general discussion of boat electrical topics, and into REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS, a discussion area specific to a Boston Whaler boat. Part of your problem in searching for information about a MONTAUK boat in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL was probably due to that forum being NOT specific to Boston Whaler boats.

If you might be interested in a survey taken on where the battery in a MONTAUK 17 is located, see

1988 Montauk 17: Battery Location Survey
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3417&p=19640#p19640

If you'd like to read a prior thread with a narrative and illustrations regarding moving the battery to the console from the stern on a MONTAUK, see

1988 Montauk 17 Moving Battery to Console
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=793

Here is some general advice regarding the electrical considerations if you plan to increase the length of the cables between the engine and the engine starting battery:

General Advice on Moving Engine Battery to Console from Transom and Extending Battery Cables
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5111

In my recollection from reading many accounts of moving a battery to a MONTAUK console, there is a shelf in the console. The shelf is not strong enough to support the weight of a battery, and often an opening is cut into the shelf so the battery will sit on the boat deck.

I don't know how many other people have this information. I am not sure that matters, if you are just interested in the information and not who knows the information.