c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II PLASTIC Through-hull Drain and Scupper Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jwaters58

c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II PLASTIC Through-hull Drain and Scupper Replacement

Postby jwaters58 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:12 pm

My more-than-20-year-old OUTRAGE 17 [later clarified to be a 1999 model year 17 OUTRAGE II in a follow-up post] boat is on a lift or on the trailer when it's not being used. I saw water weeping from under the flange of the scupper and from some of the through-hull fittings. I decide to replace the [plastic, as later clarified] through-hull fittings, but I did not know the best way to remove them.

The [plastic] scuppers were no problem to remove. A couple of taps on the inner lip with a large common screwdriver and small hammer and they separated.

The small [plastic] through-hull fittings were not as easy to remove. After a couple of bad ideas I took a Dremel with a worn down metal cutting wheel and cut the fittings in two at the center so both ends would pull out. That worked great because I had not planned to re-use them. There was water in all but one of the holes. The wettest area was the transom wood.

The good news: the foam is not waterlogged, and there is no rot in the transom. This repair may add a few years to the life of the boat.

dtmackey

Re: Through-hull Replacement

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am

Good to hear you are giving attention to those through-hull drains. They are what I consider the weak link in Whalers and encourage everyone to at least inspect them.

On countless older Whalers I've seen the [brass] through-hull drains compromised due to corrosion, but the other concern on those not yet corroded is the O-ring contact between the gel coat and the drain tube: rubber dries out over the years, especially if in direct sunlight and when the rubber becomes brittle, it can allow water to pass. On my Boston Whaler boats where I've replaced the through-hull drains, I always run a bead of polyurethane sealant around the interface of the through-hull and the gel coat. It's an added measure and can be removed if you every decide to replace in the future.

D-

vtvfr

Re: Through-hull Drain and Scupper Replacement

Postby vtvfr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am

I have [a c.1999 17 Outrage II]. I am considering [replacement of the through-hull drains and scuppers].

What are the correct replacement parts [for the through-hull drains and scuppers of a c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II]?

I think the scuppers are Perko 0343D.

I can't figure out the [OEM part number for the] smaller through-hull fitting.

Let me know if you have figured it out.

dtmackey

Re: Through-hull Replacement

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:30 pm

vtvfr wrote:I have [a c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II boat]. I am considering [replacement of the through-hull drains and scuppers].

What are the correct replacement parts?

I think the scuppers are Perko 0343D.

I can't figure out the [OEM part number for] smaller through-hull fitting.

Let me know if you have figured it out.

Call Sue at Twin Cities Marine and she will take care of you. I've found that certain manufacturers of the drain tubes use different wall thicknesses and while I have not tested the metal, there "could" be differences in the brass from supplier to supplier. Sue will get you the Whaler original that is the thicker wall tube.

D-

jwaters58

Postby jwaters58 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 am

I purchased all of the replacement parts including scupper plugs from Sue. My boat is a 1999 and has plastic through-hull fittings. They were sealed with what looked like a putty. Sue owned the same boat I have and was extremely helpful. I maybe could have gotten the parts cheaper from non-OEM sources, but her knowledge was well worth paying for, for me.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:03 pm

I believe there are two distinct topics going on in this thread regarding through-hull drains: one talks about brass drain tubes and the other talks about something different, perhaps a plastic drain fitting. This discussion could use some clarity on the material the through-hull drain is made from that is being sought for replacement.

jwaters58

Re: c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II Through-hull Drain and Scupper Replacement

Postby jwaters58 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 pm

I was referring to the fittings that drain the splash well, the fish locker, the anchor well and the scuppers on my 1999 [17] Outrage II. [The] fittings are plastic.

jimh

Re: c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II Through-hull Drain and Scupper Replacement

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks for mentioning the model year of the boat you are discussing. It is always a good practice to give the model year of the boat when discussing a boat and its problems.