Updating Seating for 15 Center Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ShorLine

Updating Seating for 15 Center Console

Postby ShorLine » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:30 am

I have a 1983 Center Console 15 that is in very good original condition. The original wood seating is in place and has been well maintained.

CC15small.jpg
Fig. 1. A 1983 Center Console 15
CC15small.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 3533 times

I thought of ordering a full set of cushions for the bench and bow area, but, after a season of use, I find the bench seat to be too low for comfort for a taller person. I have been in touch with Anderson's [about making a special cushion], but they can only replace the original cushions designed for the boat.

I contacted Martin Marine Design--I got the swim platform from them--[and asked them] about fabricating a new adjustable seat back that I could clamp-on with stainless fittings, without changing any of the original stainless railing.

I would like to have about a six-inch-cushion, if it sits on the current wood bench, and a back cushion that is situated higher to support the back.

[Seeks ideas from others who have had the same problem with uncomfortably too low seating in a 15-footer]

Thanks

Oldslowandugly

Re: Updating Seating for 15 Center Console

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:01 pm

That is a very clean boat. Good find.

I can suggest, while keeping the original wood and railing, attach a short pedestal seat to the wood bench. The pedestal for boat seats come in many heights. To the pedestal you can mount the high backed seat of your choice.

I also hated the short bench seats in all the Whalers I looked at. Getting up was painful for me.

I searched for a 15' Whaler bare hull so I could make it fit my needs. Finding one, I used a flip back cooler seat for sitting at the console.

Then I fabricated a mahogany bench similar to yours to cover the twin on-deck fuel tanks.

Then I installed two swivel high-backed seats to the bench for passengers.

Up front where you have a cooler I put the battery and made a hinged wood cover to protect it. To that I installed a pedestal and another high backed swivel seat. [This seat] s very comfortable and allows a passenger to fish the front of the boat in comfort.

Make a test and see what height is comfortable for you. Then see who makes an aluminum pedestal that will give you what you want.

The Tempress-model high-backed padded swivel seats are hard to beat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:32 pm

This post should elicit many comments, because everyone who has ever owned a classic 15-footer has modified the seating because the original wood thwart seats were too low.

Look at some ideas shown in

Cetacea Page 28
December 02, 2000
Clark Roberts and the boats of The Spruce Creek Navy

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage28.html

To find prior discussions, read the results of this search:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com%2Fubb%2FForum3%2F%20SPORT%2015%20seats%20modified&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=site%3Acontinuouswave.com%2Fuvv%2Fforum3%2F%20sport%2015%20seats%20modified&sc=0-59&sk=&cvid=E8E07DC5517B4FE796C4EB141D1945CA

To see some images view the results of this search:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=continuous+wave+sport+15+seats+modified&qpvt=continuouswave.com+SPORT+15+seats+modified&FORM=IGRE

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:14 am

Consider installing taller risers and placing the bench seat on the top of the riser. Just as effective, less expensive.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:10 am

Only problem Phil is the railing. I was going to do this on my 13' but it would require raising the entire railing the same height.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

dtmackey

Re: Updating Seating for 15' Center Console Sport

Postby dtmackey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:07 pm

biggiefl wrote:Only problem Phil is the railing. I was going to do this on my 13' but it would require raising the entire railing the same height.

Have to agree with this comment. The Sport 13 wrap around rail is the same setup as used on the 15 center console and the mounting brackets of the wrap around rail bolt to the bottom of the thwart seat, so my raising the seat, you create and concern since it will no longer align with the rail that is a fixed height based on how in mounts to the hull. There are several modifications that run through my mind, but rather than over complicating this, let's agree this is not an option.

I raise the thwart seat in my 15' Supersport 1.5" and this easy since the rails do not tie into the seat itself.

D-

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am

What about something like this Tempress high backed bench seat?

https://tempress.com/store/48-Folding-Boat-Bench-Seat-p97903361

If it is not tall enough you can adjust the height by spacing it above the plank with another plank. You could even fill the space with flat tackle boxes.

I was going to use the Tempress bench on my 15 footer but instead I used two of the high backed swivel bucket seats.

4whaler

Postby 4whaler » Mon May 04, 2020 6:17 am

I have a 1987 boat. I raised the center console so I could stand and still hold on to the steering wheel. I removed all wood. I then added risers and [a raised thwart seat made from King StarBoard]. I added a grab rail over windshield. I replaced the cooler brackets and forward hatch with KING StarBoard.

15WhalerCenterConSeatmod2mp.jpg
Fig. 2. A modified 15-foot Boston Whaler boat.
15WhalerCenterConSeatmod2mp.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 3140 times