Engine Splash Well Lower Mounting Bolt Damage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Sherwood2

Engine Splash Well Lower Mounting Bolt Damage

Postby Sherwood2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 pm

[Seeks advice on how to repair damage to the engine splash well of 1986 SPORT 15 caused by over-tightening of the lower engine mounting bolts.]

lowerEngineMountingBoltHeads.jpg
Fig. 1. Lower engine mounting bolts on SPORT 15 engine splash well.
lowerEngineMountingBoltHeads.jpg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

Advice from someone who has repaired damage like this is welcome. I will make any necessary repair.

ASIDE: I plan to re-power with a Yamaha F70.

quickenberger

Re: Engine Splash Well Lower Mounting Bolt Damage

Postby quickenberger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Remove the bolts. Use a grinder with a flat disk to remove fiberglass glass tapering away from the hole.

Expect water in the transom core and that will mean more work. If the core is all wet but not rotten then I'd suggest to remedy. The bolt head and washer pulled through the fiberglass skin for a reason [implying the transom is weak].

What are your skills at repair of fiberglass?

YouTube university has a channel called boatworks today.

I suggest using epoxy to do the repairs.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:05 pm

The engine was installed with the bolts down too low. The surface is curved there and the stress of the bolts just broke right through the fiberglass.

After getting any water out I would fill the bolt holes completely with an epoxy like Marine Tex right through to the outside of the transom. Then fill all the cracks and crazing and smooth the area out.

Next the engine needs to use bolt holes farther up where the surface is flat.

4-.jpg
FIg. 4. Engine mounting bolts. Note how load is spread with steel rectangular plates. The lower engine mounting hole location is raised from the standard location.
4-.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 pm

BACKGROUND INFORMATION: On the SPORT 15 hull and other classic-era Boston Whaler boats the lower engine mounting bolts are a problem because the engine splash well is too shallow. Boston Whaler published special instructions for proper mounting of an engine in these shallow engine splash wells. See the FAQ answer at

Q8: How Does the Engine Mount to the Transom?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q8

and carefully read the section under the heading "Problems specific to Boston Whaler boats," and carefully read the advice given as "the fifth workaround."

Also read the REFERENCE article

Boston Whaler Dealer Bulletin 10-84
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... 84-10.html

I strongly recommend you follow the advice in the FAQ "fifth workaround" which is the best solution and the method recommended by Boston Whaler, by moving the engine to a one-hole-up mounting on the upper engine mounting holes, and then using the highest hole position in the lower mounting bolt holes on the engine. Once you read the Boston Whaler recommendation and the FAQ, you will have a better understanding of how to mount the engine, known where the lower mounting holes should be located, and learn what you should do about mounting a new engine.

THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM: the damage has occurred because the original installer must have over-tightened the mounting bolts, crushing the fiberglass.

ADVICE ON REPAIR: see two REFERENCE articles on proper repair methods for Boston Whaler boats. There are two articles, both illustrated.

Repairing Hull Damage the Whaler Way
by Taylor Clark

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... epair.html

This article shows a repair to hull damage following the methods recommended by Boston Whaler.

Also see

INSTRUCTIONS -- HULL PATCH KITS
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tions.html

This article reproduces the actual instructions from Boston Whaler.

I strongly recommend you read both articles and study them for content and advice on making repairs. These are well-written, illustrated articles, and have been used for repair advice by many Boston Whaler boat owners. You will find they have very high information content.

WHAT RESIN TO USE: I recommend using WEST System Epoxy, and use one of their REPAIR KITS. The repair kit will have enough resin, hardener, filler, mixing bowls, and so on to make these repairs. The kits are an excellent value, are not expensive, and give you all the materials you will need. You need not worry much about color-matching gel coat for repair, as all of the repair area will be hidden from view, as long as you don't grind out a huge area round the hole. There is really no need to grind the surface away from the hole for fairing. It will just make a larger repair area.

TRANSOM WATER CONTENT: I cannot offer any speculation on the present condition of the embedded wood in the transom. However, be aware than any damage to the hull gel coat surface that exposes the underlying laminate or wood reinforcement will create a path for water to enter the inner hull. Since the engine splash well is designed to catch water, the damage at the lower engine mounting holes may have created a path for water to enter the interior of the transom.

The condition of the transom should be assessed before beginning any repair. You may find that there is more work to be done than you anticipate. You may decide to hire a boat artisan with skill in repair of Boston Whaler hulls to perform the work for you. Or, you may decide you can perform the work yourself. The worst case will be the transom wood has been wet, has rotted, has lost strength and integrity, and a more intensive repair of the transom is needed. The best case: there is no sign of water in the embedded wood, and you need to only repair the damage to the lower engine mounting hole on the splash well side of the transom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:01 am

quickenberger wrote:Remove the bolts. Use a grinder with a flat disk to remove fiberglass glass tapering away from the hole.

This repair advice sounds somewhat drastic. I don't recommend grinding away much of the gel coat. You won't be trying to smooth in a repair. You just need to repair the cracks and make the area around the mounting hole to be water-tight. Using a flat disk sander on a concave bend area will be impossible.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:02 am

Oldslowandugly wrote:The engine [that is the topic of this discussion] was installed with the bolts down too low.

It looks to me like the engine was installed according to the Boston Whaler recommendation. I don't think you need to move the lower engine mounting hole to a new location. Refer to the recommended location in the FAQ and the Boston Whaler service bulletin mentioned above.

For every 3/4-inch (the spacing of the mounting holes on a standard engine mount) the lower engine mounting hole is raised from the standard spacing, the overall engine mounting height must be raised to match. For example, if the lower mounting hole is raised 3/4-inch (as recommended) then the lowest possible engine mounting height will become one-hole-up. If the lower mounting hole is raised 1-1/2-inches (not recommended) then the lowest possible engine mounting height will become two-holes-up. Take these limits into consideration before you move the lower engine mounting holes in the transom to be higher than they are now.

Sherwood2

Postby Sherwood2 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks for the knowledge gents. I’ll start researching and make it right. All the best.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:28 pm

When a new topic broke out in this thread about engine mounting height and mounting bolt orientation, I moved it to its own thread. See

Engine Mounting and Bolt Orientation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5362