1989 OUTRAGE 22 Fuel Tank Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Ironcladjamin

1989 OUTRAGE 22 Fuel Tank Replacement

Postby Ironcladjamin » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

A gentleman has a custom 85-gallon fuel tank made up for his [1987--always use four digits for years] OUTRAGE 20. The tank fits in the fuel tank cavity space with room to spare. He achieved [the increase in volume capacity to 85-gallons from the usual 77-gallons] by making the entire tank 3-inches wider than normal.

Q1: is the fuel tank cavity space in the classic OUTRAGE 20 the same as in the classic OUTRAGE 22?

Q2: based on dimensions [apparently the dimensions shown below in a rough sketch] would a fuel tank of those dimension fit in the fuel tank cavity of an OUTRAGE 22?

Q3; does not using any foam to retain the fuel tank in the fuel tank cavity hurt the structure that holds the tank in place?

FB_IMG_1588694208708.jpg
Please enter a caption that explains what is being illustrated here
FB_IMG_1588694208708.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

sketchTank.jpg
Please enter a caption that explains what is illustrated here.
sketchTank.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

BDBinWV

Re: 1989 OUTRAGE 22 Fuel Tank Replacement

Postby BDBinWV » Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 am

I recently replaced the fuel tank in my 1989 Revenge 22 which utilizes the same hull as an 1989 Outrage 22. The dimensions you show in the sketch for the 85 gallon tank are almost the same dimensions as the 77 gallon tank that Florida Marine Tanks fabricated for my Revenge 22. Your sketch illustrates the height at the smaller end as 9-1/8-inch and 13-inch where mine is 9-7/8-inch and 12-7/8-inch. The height at the big end on your sketch is 10-1/8-inch and 14-inch, and mine is 10-3/4-inch and 13-3/4-inch. All other dimensions are the same. That should answer your first and second questions.

For your third question: not using foam has no effect on the tank cavity structure. Foam was only used to keep the tank from moving. I supported my tank by 1/4-inch rubber strips bonded by 3M5200 at 12-inch spacing transversely along the bottom of the tank. I also used synthetic wood to block the sides of the tank from moving, and they are also bonded with 3M5200. The OEM aluminum bars across the top of the tank were also reused.

Florida Marine Tanks is the original manufacture of the fuel tanks in the classic Boston Whalers.

You have a comment in the sketch indicating that the 85-gallon tank is 3-inches wider then the drawing. I am assuming you are asking if a 25-inch-wide fuel tank would fit in the cavity. The answer os yes. I never did measure the width of the tank cavity but as I remember, there was approximately 4-inches of clearance on both sides.
Last edited by BDBinWV on Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed May 27, 2020 11:05 am

Q1: is the fuel tank cavity space in the classic OUTRAGE 20 the same as in the classic OUTRAGE 22?

Answer - Yes

Q2: based on dimensions [apparently the dimensions shown above in a rough sketch] would a fuel tank of those dimension fit in the fuel tank cavity of an OUTRAGE 22?

Answer - See DB's answer above.

Q3; does not using any foam to retain the fuel tank in the fuel tank cavity hurt the structure that holds the tank in place?

Answer - The foam is what keeps the tank from moving. Using blocking around the sides of the tank instead of foam will achieve the same desired results.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 pm

For owners who did not replace the foam in the fuel tank cavity:

There are at least three ways [due to the design of] the Outrage and Revenge models to have water enter the fuel tank cavity. The original design was for water from the deck that runs alongside the fuel and vent hoses to travel below deck, run across the tank and through a hole at the top of the tank and foam to run into the rigging tunnel and out the drain sump.

If the plug is pulled in the drain sump wile the boat is on the water and off plane, water runs backwards from the drain sump into the rigging tunnel and into the fuel tank area. If you do not replace the foam the fuel tank cavity, it will fill up with water with no way to remove it.

On my Revenge 22 with rigging moved under the gunwale [from the rigging tunnel], I replaced the tank without the foam. I put a drain tube from the fuel tank cavity to the fish box (with a plug) in it for inspection. I also made a manifold to seal the fuel fillerl and vent hoses at the deck on that side. Under the deck I made a wall that completely blocked the rigging tunnel to prevent water from running backwards from the drain sump into the tank area. This would not be possible in a center console boat.

What are you guys doing with Outrage models without replacing the foam to prevent the tank cavity from filling up with water and no way to drain it ?

Vance

steelhead55

Postby steelhead55 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:51 pm

I refurbished a plastic fuel tank on my Revenge 22. The fuel cavity is identical [to something]. On my boat I installed a 1-inch fiberglass tube between the fuel compartment and the rear compartment to be a drain. At the end of each trip in the ocean, I [un-plug] this tube. On days with a wet deck there is about two to four gallons of water will drain from the [fuel tank cavity].

Stayinstrewn

Postby Stayinstrewn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:45 pm

I also put a drain in the rear of the fuel cavity. [Every time the drain is unplugged] some water [flows] out. Sometimes [the water that flows out is] from that day. At other times I feel like [the water that flows out of the fuel tank cavity drain is] just water from the foam that is finally making its way out.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 am

steelhead55 wrote:On days with a wet deck there is about two to four gallons of water will drain from the [fuel tank cavity].

Steelhead--I didn't see this post earlier this year. I can't understand how your getting two to four gallons of water in your tank compartment. Are you running your drain sump open and water backing up from the drain sump into your tank area?

If not, just wondering, where do you think this water to the tank is gaining access coming from?

Vance

steelhead55

Postby steelhead55 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi Vance--I added a drain from that section of the molding from which water can not leave into the tank cavity. I think it is coming in that way, given the age of the weather stripping around the cabin. If the deck is wet, it also can get in from openings that exist from the starboard rigging tunnel. I know some gets in that way occasionally. I got tired of the deck being so wet, so I built a stern shield to keep water from coming over the stern of the boat.

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 am

steelhead55 wrote:Hi Vance--I added a drain from that section of the molding from which water can not leave into the tank cavity. I think it is coming in that way, given the age of the weather stripping around the cabin. If the deck is wet, it also can get in from openings that exist from the starboard rigging tunnel. I know some gets in that way occasionally. I got tired of the deck being so wet, so I built a stern shield to keep water from coming over the stern of the boat.

That makes sense. I forgot that the factory routed the rigging cables doen through the starboard cabinet through the deck and into the rigging tunnel. This is a huge hole in the deck to the rigging tunnel. I blocked mine off flush with plywood, fiberglass, and epoxy. I have an auxiliary battery sitting there now.