2013 130 SUPER SPORT: Water in foam in anchor locker

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Cait

2013 130 SUPER SPORT: Water in foam in anchor locker

Postby Cait » Sun May 10, 2020 12:11 pm

I’m new to this and green when it comes to boating.

I recently bought a 2013 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport. While out in some rough waters waves were crashing over the bow. I noticed that the anchor locker filled with a lot of water.

After drying out the anchor locker, I saw that the the seal on a circular disk was broken. When I put pressure on that area, water bubbled out.

Q1: how can I insure a proper drying out of the foam from the water that entered the hull?

Q2: what is the best repair that will not ruin the remaining warranty?

Q3: why would Boston Whale put such a vulnerability in an anchor locker?

An anchor locker holds water that comes crashing over the bow. And the area but gets roughed up by the anchor.

Jefecinco

Re: 2013 130 SUPER SPORT: Water in foam in anchor locker

Postby Jefecinco » Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am

After making any repairs you may want to line the anchor locker with a protective material such as Drideck.
Butch

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon May 11, 2020 9:59 am

Got a pic?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 am

In any sort of molding in which liquid material is poured into a mold cavity, there will be sprue holes. The purpose of a sprue hole is to allow excess material to escape from the mold form.

In making a Boston Whaler boat's Unibond hull, the mold form is usually oriented to position the bow area as the high point. The liquid material that will be expanding into the hull is introduced, then the mold is closed, except for the sprue holes. As the foam expands, the excess pushes out air and extra foam through the sprue hole. The excess foam comes out the sprue hole in the bow area.

The circular area in the bow of your 2013 130 SUPER SPORT boat probably a sprue hole. Literally every Boston Whaler Unibond hull boat has a similar opening in the hull liner.

The production process used in 2013 to make your boat is unknown to me. In some cases these larger circular sprue holes were covered with a laminated disc. The laminated disc was attached with adhesives. In some other instances, there is no laminated cover, and the foam in the sprue opening might just have been given a coat or two of some type of clear sealant. Or maybe just left unsealed.

As for what you ought to do following the anchor locker filling with water and wetting the sprue hole, I suggest to leave the anchor locker drains open. The anchor locker SHOULD have a drain to the sea, which allows any water in the anchor locker to drain.

Don't worry about the possibility of a repair you might make causing harm to the 10-year hull warranty. Because you still have three years left on the 10-year-hull warranty, call Boston Whaler customer service and ask them how they will repair this problem.

Cait

Postby Cait » Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 am

These responses were super reassuring and helpful. I’m definitely going to look into Drideck as a quick liner after repair. It’s also good to understand more about the manufacturing process and about the sprue hole. That was a fascinating post. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your suggestions and wisdom.

Cait