2003 220 Dauntless Finding Bow Wiring Conduit

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Gluis

2003 220 Dauntless Finding Bow Wiring Conduit

Postby Gluis » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm

I need advice on wiring a trolling motor to a [2003] 220 DAUNTLESS that does not have the fishing package, and the hull does not have the trolling motor wiring pre-installed. From consulting the diagram and calling Boston Whaler directly, they say the [wiring] conduit is molded in, and running wiring [to the bow area through the conduit] should not be a problem.

The bow mount wiring area is pretty obvious due to the raised area where the plug [for the trolling motor] would be mounted. But underneath the console where the batteries would be connected, I cannot find any indication where the conduit would be.

Q: Does anyone have any measurements or suggestions on how to find [the location of the apparently hidden wiring conduit under the console] without punching blind holes?

Wire gauge and mounting suggestions would also be appreciated.

Backstory: Hello all. I am a long time lurker and now a first time poster. In 2019 I purchased a used 2003 220 Dauntless. I and my wife have loved every minute of using the 220 DAUNTLESS during our fishing season. Unfortunately, 2020 will be a bust. I am at the tail end of a deployment. I plan to make a few upgrades to enhance our fishing capabilities. I would really like to install a trolling motor on the bow. I have reviewed the wood locator schematic and a few forums on the best ways to mount and install a trolling motor. This boat has bow rails. I have a few ideas. I am open to other suggestions that may be specific to the 220 Dauntless.

Thank you

jimh

Re: 2003 220 Dauntless 22 Finding Bow Wiring Conduit

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Visit WHALER.COM. Navigate to OWNER RESOURCES.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat-ownership/resources/

Select year, model, and length. Get all drawing results.

You should see these two drawings available for viewing and downloading

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/220-Dauntless-Hull-Outfit-and-Equipment-Assembly-Sheet-1-of-4-2003.pdf

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/220-Dauntless-Hull-Outfit-and-Equipment-Assembly-Sheet-2-of-4-2003.pdf

These drawings show the location of the exit of the wiring conduit that connects the center console area to the bow area.

The wiring conduit may not bend and rise so that it exits in clear view under the center console when looking in there from an access door. You may have to look into a deck locker forward of the console where the battery for the trolling motor would normally be installed.

If you cannot find the conduit exit but you see the conduit exit at the bow, push something semi-rigid down into the conduit at the bow. If there is an obstruction or sealed end at the other end of the conduit, you should detect that easily. If there is a blockage, locate it by listening for the sound of the object you are pushing into the conduit hitting the obstruction. If there is no obstruction, look for the object to have come out at the other end. You could use a water hose (without any water in it) as something to push into the conduit to sound for the other end.

For advice on electrical power distribution wiring, please start a second thread in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum. Give details about the amount of current in Amperes the trolling motor will consume, and the distance from the battery to the electrical outlet into which the trolling motor power leads will be plugged.

Phil T

Re: 2003 220 Dauntless Finding Bow Wiring Conduit

Postby Phil T » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Take a look at item 51 on this sheet.

It is on the forward wall, in front of the batteries.

It shows the optional grommet that would be for the wires going to the bow trolling motor panel.

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/220-Dauntless-Hull-Outfit-and-Equipment-Assembly-Sheet-1-of-4-2003.pdf
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Gluis

Postby Gluis » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks all. I had not found that hull assembly diagram.

How big is the hole on the back wall? Any guess?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm

On the basis that the conductors for distributing power to the trolling motor from the battery would have to be quite large, at least 4-AWG, I would infer the wiring conduit would have to be sufficiently large to accommodate two 4-AWG conductors. That suggests the inside diameter of the wiring conduit would have to be at least 1-inch inside and quite possibly larger.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:20 am

From memory, the conduit diameter running from the console to the bow was approximately one and a half to two inches on our previous Dauntless 16. Pulling the wiring was easy after sending a messenger wire from the bow.
Butch