Outrage 18 Fuel Gauge

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Greg_K

Outrage 18 Fuel Gauge

Postby Greg_K » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:40 pm

I just replaced the sending unit and gauge on my 1986 Outrage 18', which I believe has the original fuel tank. I replaced it with an OEM Rochester guage, Model 6500 Adjustable Arm series, purchased from Fidelity Manufacturing, Ocala, FL ($70). The four mounting holes are match to the existing holes, but you will [need to add] lock nuts, as the bolts provided assume a threaded hole in the top of the tank to screw into.

Of note is that the replacement seems to be designed to mount flush to the top of the tank, whereas the original tank has a 1-1/2-inch-long neck on which the gauge is mounted. The new gauge is different from the original in that the shaft going down from the dial is much shorter, and the aluminum rod swing arm has a 90 degree bend around 2-inches from where it attaches to the shaft. This arrangement prevents the shaft from fitting into the neck, because the bend in the swing arm cannot clear the raised neck. I was able to troubleshoot this by straightening the original bend, and then making a 90 degree bend closer to the shaft - more like 3/4-inch from the shaft. I found that heating the aluminum swing arm rod made the material very pliable and easy to bend. Note that if you purchase this gauge for this job, do not crimp the rod to set the float location until after adjusting the bend. I didn't realize that it wouldn't fit until after I cut and crimped the float arm rod, which means that my reading will probably be a little off on the empty and full readings.

If anyone is interested in purchasing my old gauge, I'll sell it for $25. It's original and it works; it just needs the dial secured somehow as the mounting system corroded away. Otherwise, it's functional and original.

jimh

Re: Outrage 18 Fuel Gauge

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks for your narrative description of the process of replacing the fuel gauge on your classic Boston Whaler boat.