2007 320 Outrage Cuddy Refrigerator Compressor

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Rmarzarella

2007 320 Outrage Cuddy Refrigerator Compressor

Postby Rmarzarella » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:17 am

Where can a replacement compressor for the refrigerator on a 2007 320 OUTRAGE CUDDY be purchased?

The compressor on my 2007 320 OUTRAGE CUDDY boat stopped working a few years ago.

The local Boston Whaler dealer can’t help me.

I searched online for hours, and I searched drawings from Boston Whaler: no information found.

Ross

Jefecinco

Re: 2007 320 Outrage Cuddy Refrigerator

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 am

Generally the most cost effective method of repair of small refrigerators is by replacement. The refrigerator may have lost power. Check the usual suspects starting with the power connection, circuit breaker, power switch, etc. Compressor replacement is a job best done by an expert. It requires expensive special tools and training.

If the refrigerator an absorption unit the heating element may be defective. Some are user replaceable. An RV repair shop is probably a good source of parts and advice on how to proceed with a repair on that type of unit.
Butch

jimh

Re: 2007 320 Outrage Cuddy Refrigerator Compressor

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Inspect the compressor visually for identifying markings.

Remove the compressor from the boat. Bring compressor to a suitable repair shop for help in identifying the maker.

Modern refrigerators have compressor service lives of about 15-years.

Does the compressor run on 12-Volts DC?

Jefecinco

Re: 2007 320 Outrage Cuddy Refrigerator Compressor

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Small compressor cooled refrigeration unit compressors are hermetic or sealed. Removal requires cutting refrigerant lines. To legally do this requires the system be evacuated of refrigerant before cutting the line. Such small compressors are virtually unrepairable. Removal has no value.

Removal of the refrigerator is required to repair it. On-site repair is some times possible but the cost to have a mobile repair technician come to the boat to effect repairs then, in the unlikely event the unit can be repaired, the cost could possibly exceed the cost of repair.

If the OP cannot get the unit to work it would be best to remove and the unit and replace it with new unit. It is not a very difficult DIY job. An alternative solution would be to take the unit to a repair shop for an estimate and possible repair. The normal warranty for shop repairs is 30 to 90 days. A replacement unit will have a one year warranty.
Butch