2003 160 DAUNTLESS Fuel Tank Level WEMA Sender

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Todd

2003 160 DAUNTLESS Fuel Tank Level WEMA Sender

Postby Todd » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Hello. I need a person or a resource to confirm the correct size fuel tank level sending unit for my 2003 160 Dauntless.

I've noticed the guage only reads 1/2-FULL even when the tank has been topped off. I narrowed the [cause] to the sender unit by removing it. I can manually adjust the float to read empty to full by sliding it up and down. It just doesn't work in the tank for some reason.

I suspect [the tank level sender] might be a replacement sender. I want to be sure to order the proper size. The one in the tank now is a WEMA SSS and is 7.5-inches from the bottom to the mounting plate. I've tried the usual sources including the Boston Whaler site and Google searches.

Thanks,
Todd

jimh

Re: 2003 160 DAUNTLESS Fuel Tank Level WEMA Sender

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm

I can’t speak authoritatively on this topic, but I would not expect the OEM fuel tank level sender to have been a WEMA device in a c.2003 Boston Whaler boat.

The WEMA tank level sender should produce a resistive output by using a series of magnetically operated switches that respond to a magnet in the float as it slides up or down the circular rod that projects down into the fuel tank.

The WEMA sender has to be the right length to fit a particular tank.

I recommend you measure the tank depth at the sender location, then contact WEMA for advice on the proper model to use. I believe the senders are made in various lengths with increments of an inch or two.

The resistance range must also be matched to the meter that will display the tank level. There is a common standard in the USA for the resistance range. See

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043&p=17430#p17430

Also, there might not be a problem with the sender. A poor connection could be adding resistance to the circuit.

Or, there could be a problem with the tank vent preventing the tank level rising to full. The trim on the boat when fueling usually needs to be down by the stern to allow the fuel tank to be filled to full.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:26 pm

http://www.E-Components.net is the provider of OEM under-deck tank senders.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Todd

Postby Todd » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks so much for the reply. I am in contact with the E-Components folks now and they are working on confirming the correct fuel sender replacement. The suggestion to measure the depth of the tank was particularly helpful as well, I should have thought of that! Take care.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:20 am

The WEMA sender is likely an improvement over the original sender, which probably used a float on a moveable arm to actuate a resistor.

Todd

Postby Todd » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 pm

So after speaking with a very helpful Customer Service person at Boston Whaler Parts & Warranty and confirming I needed a 7.5 fuel sender which now is available from KUS industries who purchase WEMA some years ago and purchasing and installing a new sender I found that the sender was not the problem. I noticed that the fuel level in the tank wasn't nearly as full as I'd thought when filling the tank. Turns out that the volume of gas pumped from the Admiral station gas pump overwhelms the sensor in the pump handle causing it to trip as if it's full. It even backs up and spills slightly as another indicator of a full tank. When I slowed the flow it allowed the gas to reach the tank and didn't trip the sensor allowing me to add 13 gallons to my 45 gallon tank and making the gauge read correctly.

Although I feel a bit foolish for not figuring this out in the first place I am glad the tank now can be filled and gauge is accurate. Lesson learned.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm

I mentioned in my first reply that the actual cause could be a problem in adding fuel to the tank. The inflow of fuel via the filler hose can be affected by the orientation of the boat hull, both in fore-and-aft trim and in lateral trim. The exact location on the fuel tank for the filler outlet into the tank and the tank vent hose also have an influence on the fill rate.

Also some models of Boston Whaler boats used a filler inlet with the vent incorporated into the filler fitting. Fuel fill fittings of that type have been mentioned as often needing a very low flow rate of fuel to work properly.

Thus a lot of variation can exist in how fast gasoline can flow into the tank.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 am

Todd, if that's the dumbest thing you ever do with your boat, then you are a wise and lucky man.

Older 160 Dauntless models had a fuel vent integrated into the fill port. Anecdotal reports were that the vent didn't work all that well and it could be a challenge to fill the tank without getting some backflow out of the fill port. Later versions (some time around 2000-2001) the fuel vent was re-routed to a vent port on the portside hull. With my 2003 I find that blowing into that vent with the fuel filler cap off will clear the vent line and make it easier to fill the tank. Am I possibly blowing some water back through the vent into the tank? Maybe, but that's what I have a canister fuel filter for.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 am

Bob - Shortly after buying our 1999 Dauntless 16 I complained to the dealer about the difficulty of filling the fuel tank. He contacted Boston Whaler and they sent him a retro-fit kit that included a new fuel fill and hose and a vent outlet to allow rerouting the vent hose to the port side and the newly supplied vent through hull fitting. Problem solved.
Butch

Todd

Postby Todd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

On another note, I spent the weekend in Saugatuck, Michigan with friends with larger boats, a 52 Sea Ray Sundancer and a 45 Formula Yacht. We used the Whaler extensively to tour the waterfront and run people out to Oval Beach and up the Kalamazoo river leaving the larger craft in their slips. The owner of the Formula noted that the bow rail on our 160 Dauntless was the same diameter as he has on the 45 footer.