SUPER SPORT seating Modification Survey

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jhb1

SUPER SPORT seating Modification Survey

Postby jhb1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:53 am

[A survey for owners of what was much later clarified to be limited to c.2010 or newer 170 SUPER SPORT boats:] have you cut into the seating platform on the transom?

Q1: can the space [under the “seating platform on the transom” become a] storage bin?

Q2: can a wash-down pump [be installed on] the starboard side [space under “the seating platform on the transom”]? The harness goes right past it.

I plan to buy a prefab unit from Boat outfitters and install. I don't want to compromise the hull.

[NOTA BENE: when asking about a boat, give the exact model designator and the model year. The term SUPER SPORT has been in use by Boston Whaler for over 50-years and associated with many boats of different lengths and model family designations—Moderator]

jimh

Re: SUPER SPORT seating Modification Survey

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:45 pm

If the part of the unidentified “SUPER SPORT” boat under discussion and referred to as “the seating platform on the transom” is part of the Unibond double-bottom foam-filled hull, you should contact Boston Whaler for advice about what effect cutting into that part of the hull might have on the structural integrity of the hull and the ten-year hull warranty.

My expectation is cutting into a portion of the transom or the transom support could be a serious concern.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm

How can you expect any decent information when we have no idea what year and model you have?

There is more than one Super Sport.

Details.

Photos would also help.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm

jhb1 wrote:I plan to buy a prefab unit from Boat outfitters and install.

It would be more clear to readers if you explained what “the prefab unit” actually is or does. The name of the retailer you will give the order to is not particularly important for understanding what is to be installed.

jhb1

Postby jhb1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I had considered contacting [Boston Whaler] directly, but manufacturers tend to say no just to limit liability.
I wonder if owners had done so anyway with success.

The prefab [“unit”] box manufacturer is https://www.boatoutfitters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/207e23213cf636ccdef205098cf3c8a3/g/l/glove-box-with-clear-acrylic-door.jpg

[The boat under discussion] is a 2010 170 SUPER SPORT-123 model with a 90-HP outboard [engine].

The seating can be seen along the transom in this picture:

https://newenglandboating.com/wp-conten ... terior.jpg

I may make a bench seat that runs between the rear seats with storage under. The only concern might be the harness sticking into people’s backs.
Last edited by jhb1 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:03 pm

There is no information on Boston Whaler's website to determine if the spaces inside the rear quarter seat/platforms contain structural foam or are hollow.

Prior to any investigation, I would submit a detailed query to the factory Customer Service team to ascertain the answer.
https://www.bostonwhaler.com/marketing/contact-customer-service/

If the area is foamed, I would not want the task of removing portions to fit a moulded compartment. Extra care would be necessary to ensure moisture did not enter the foam. This installation would be an added point of potential failure to keep the foam dry.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:42 pm

What does the -123 model designation indicate?

As a general rule with a relatively new Boston Whaler boat, before you grab a saw and start cutting large holes into the laminate structure of the Unibond hull, you need to talk directly to Boston Whaler. I would not start sawing up a c.2010 170 SUPER SPORT based on some random advice from an Internet forum.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:45 pm

I was completely confused by your invention of the term “seating platform at the transom.”

I think you were trying to describe the molded-in stern quarter seats.

A seat on a small boat at the stern quarters is known as a stern quarter seat. In the 170 SUPER SPORT those seats may be part of the hull liner that creates the Unibond double-bottom foam-filled hull.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:52 pm

In general questions that propose to take surveys are almost always terrible questions. Instead of asking for a survey, just ask for the real information you want.

From what I can infer, you want to know what you will find if you cut away a big section of the hull liner in the aft cockpit of a c.2010 170 SUPER SPORT.

jhb1

Postby jhb1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:06 pm

So I am really confused. My initial post was not a survey and in fact, was just a couple of questions. An hour after I posted, the format and thread title was changed as you see it now. I had supposed that the admins had changed for a good reason so thought nothing of it.

My second post was also edited and changed, again I assume by the admins, my guess is for clarity, but I cannot be certain.

My question was only if it had been done successfully, and from the responses I am getting, my assumption is no, it has not been done. I thought a forum on whaler modifications might have been a good starting point. I have no intention of destroying my boat.

As to a rear seat, I had though about buying a piece of Starboard and making a bench between the two "stern quarter seat", who's name I have been educated on.

The complete model number is 170SS-123. I do not know what the "-123" designation means, but that is what the model number is, and its printed on the hull. A previous post stated I would need to include the model to get "decent information", so I posted the complete model number assuming that even though I was not aware of what it meant, people on the forum might. The complete model number was truncated to
"-123" from my original thread when edited by what I assume were the admins.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:37 am

This thread is getting way off topic and is now discussing itself. Anytime a thread begins to discuss itself that is a good sign the thread has almost no useful information and will soon be deleted.

A survey question is a question that asks “Has anyone ever...(done something)” or “Has (some action) ever been done.” The problem with a survey is there needs to be a very large number of responses in order for the results to have any significance.

If you want to limit response to your question to only certain people, just frame your question to include the qualifications you desire.

Your initial post still asks two questions. I don’t understand what you think is missing. If you want to complain further please send me a private message.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 am

The model designation is usually what the decal on the hull says. If there is a decal on the hullside of your boat that reads “170 SUPER SPORT 123”, then that is the Boston Whaler model designation. But that sounds odd to me. Usually the model would be just “170 SUPER SPORT.”

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:55 am

A good approach to judging if a modification to a Boston Whaler boat that requires sawing out part of the hull is going to be a good idea will be to look to see if Boston Whaler offered something similar as an option. Adding a storage compartment like a tackle drawer is often an option on Boston Whaler boats, but the tackle drawer is usually added to an assembly that is added on to the Unibond hull like a console or a seat base.

As PHIL noted, the exact method of construction of the stern quarter seats is not clear. If the seats are separate molded components that are just fastened or glued onto the Unibond hull, then the space behind them may just be open space. But if they are part of the deck liner molded part of the hull, then they are part of the hull structure. Before cutting out big pieces of them you should review the real value of “the prefab unit” (your exact words) you want to add. Consider this: if the seats were hollow and there was a large volume of potential storage space going to waste, don’t you think the designers at Boston Whaler might have had a thought about that? Boston Whaler boats are normally very crafty in design. That they’d make a boat with stern quarter seats that could hold storage lockers but never thought of that would be unusual.