1972 Katama White All-round Lamp Storage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
hermit

1972 Katama White All-round Lamp Storage

Postby hermit » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 pm

I just bought a replacement pole lamp for the 1972 Katama I bought last year. The pole is 0.75-inch stainless steel, 55 inches long. Once I had installed the pole, I immediately wondered where I would stow it—a little late to think about storage, I admit.

I would like information on the factory storage location and mounting hardware for storage, if any, for the white all-round pole lamp.

I seek advice from experienced owners about other solutions they may have come to prefer.

Also, it seems to me that a rubber grommet should be used at the bottom of the pole to prevent wire chafing.

What is a common retail source for a suitable grommet?

[Moderator’s note on nomenclature: a small boat like a KATAMA would not show a sternlight. Typically the navigation lighting will be a combined sidelight and a white all-round light. The “light” is what other boats see. The light is created by a lantern or lamp. The article has been edited to use the proper nomenclature.]

jimh

Re: 1972 Katama White All-round Lamp Storage

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am

Rubber chocks designed specifically to allow a pole lamp to be held in them for storage are available from PERKO. PERKO calls them “pole storage clips.”

https://www.perko.com/catalog/deck_hard ... age_clips/

I don’t know where the factory thought the pole lamp should be stowed.

A source for rubber grommets in a quantity of one might be your local hardware store.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am

Factory did not use 55" long light poles so no luck there.

What space do you have that is 55-inches or more long to store it?

My guess is under the console if long enough or on the side next to the railing. On a Katama I would probably lean towards the console side to hide it some.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

hermit

Postby hermit » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Thank you for the information, and for the terminology [revision].

The pole storage clips are on order.

I will try different locations for storage.

I wouldn't mind shortening the pole I bought to make it easier to stow, but I want to be law-abiding in this matter.

How long was the original all-round lamp pole for a 1972 Katama?

How long does the all-round lamp pole need to be in the year 2020, given the factory mounting points and hardware on the transom are used, as is the original bow-mounted sidelight housing?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:59 pm

There is no minimum dimension for the length of the pole in any navigation lamp.

For a boat underway under power and showing combined sidelights and a white all-round light, there should be one meter vertical separation between them; the white-all-round light is to be higher than the combined sidelights.

The FAQ answer will direct you to an official source of information.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The vertical separation is specified in the technical annex.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Where are you mounting it? If the console then it will be MUCH taller than 3ft above the [combined sidelight lantern].

I would cut the pole so you can mount it under the console. Out of the elements and out of sight for theft.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:49 pm

The white all-round lamp on my 1970 16-foot Whaler was added c.1985, with what I believe to be the original equipment for Montauks of the period.

The pole mounts to the inside of the transom with chrome plated stand-offs or stanchions. The pole is chrome over brass, 55 inches long.

I think the original poster has a similar setup, and is asking where to store the pole lamp when not in use. I recommend that he uses Beckson clips to store it wherever he can find a good spot.

As to anti-chafing protection for the wires, heat-shrink tubing is what I use.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:51 am

“Beckson clips” may be a reference to a series of plastic open clips made by BECKSON called “Clipper Holding Clips.” Compare at

https://beckson.com/plasticclips.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:03 am

Regarding use of heat shrink tubing with stranded wire conductors:

I have about 45-years of experience in trying to prevent failure of stranded wire conductors that are subject to motion and movement. I advise against use of heat shrink for this reason: the whole purpose of using stranded wire is to impart flexibility to the conductor. Wrapping a stranded wire in heat shrink tubing introduces stiffness in the conductor. The effect is to create a lever mechanism that allows the stiffened segment of the wire to work on the still flexible part of the wire and increase the effects of motion. The outcome is the conductor usually breaks.

To reduce abrasion between the pole and the conductors at the end of the pole, apply a soft surrounding material to the inside diameter of the pole tube. Don’t stiffen the wires with heat shrink.

If you must protect the wires, pass them through a short length of soft rubber hose at the exit.