Pulling new cables in rigging tunnel

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Lifesaver15

Pulling new cables in rigging tunnel

Postby Lifesaver15 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:47 pm

On a 1979 OUTRAGE there are broken or rusted end fittings on the steering cable and throttle cable.

The [remote oil tank] supply line [is damaged].

Is it common practice to bind together [the remote oil supply hose, the steering cables, and the engine remote throttle cables into a bundle and then install them by passing them through the rigging tunnel as one bundle]?

Can a new cable be pulled through the [rigging] tunnel without taking up the floor and console[?]

[On my 1979 OUTRAGE] nothing [can be] pulled through [the rigging tunnel].

jimh

Re: Pulling new cables in rigging tunnel

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Lifesaver15 wrote:Is it common practice to bind together...?

I have no survey data on this subject.

I offer this advice: any time more than one cable is run through a conduit or cable raceway, the cables should never be bound or tied or lashed or entwined together in order that at some future time to allow for any single cable to be pulled out alone, if needed.

If the boat rigging was done in 1979, there is probably no chance to locate the person who did the rigging to ask him the same question you ask readers here; that guy could give you his answer which might be more influential for the problem you are facing.

Can a new cable be pulled through the [rigging] tunnel without taking up the floor and console[?]

Yes.

Most intelligent riggers will leave a small but strong rope in a rigging tunnel for the exact purpose to aid in pulling a new cable through the tunnel.

[On my 1979 OUTRAGE] nothing [can be] pulled through [the rigging tunnel].

You do have a problem if you need to add more cables. Have you tried to pull out the damaged cables? Pulling out all the damaged cables—or perhaps ALL the cables if necessary—will be the first step in providing a remedy to the fundamental problem you described initially: the damaged steering and throttle mechanical cables and oil the damaged oil supply hose.

Denny 47

Postby Denny 47 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Try running a fish tape from the access hole under the center counsel to the stern access point. Connect your cable and try pulling it through. I’ve done this with my Montauk and it works. I apologize If I’ve stated the obvious.

A fish tape is available at Lowe’s or Home Depot. A fish tape a flat [steel] tape about a half-inch wide in a self coiling holder.

Good luck with your repair.

Anthony Navarro

Postby Anthony Navarro » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:21 pm

[Appended to a discussion that has been dormant for six months.]

Disconnect all bad throttle and shift cables and pull out those cable. While removing them, attach the new cables to the old [bad cables] and pull the [new cables] thru while removing the old cables.

The [cockpit deck] does not need to be removed.

The center panel in the [cockpit deck] is for [access to] the [fuel] tank only and provides no access to the [rigging] tunnel.

Check the [engine] harness and any other electrical lines since [you are] going through all this.

Everything [in the rigging tunnel] may required removal [in order] to clean out all the debris lodged in the rigging tunnel over the years.

Good luck