Wire Rope Steering Locked-up

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
faithie999

Wire Rope Steering Locked-up

Postby faithie999 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:52 am

I have a 1973 13-footer that I have not used for several years. I am getting it cleaned up and ready to sell. I removed the steering gear from the console and in the process realized that it is nearly impossible to turn the wheel. The wire rope steering cables are disconnected so they are not the cause of the problem.

I assume [the cause of the locked-up steering] is the original steering wheel. The cowling [bezel] on the upper side is copper. I don't know the proper term for the type of steering, but it has exposed plastic-coated wire rope cables which attach to the outboard via pulleys on the gunwales near the stern.

it appears that the center shaft (to which the cable pulley attaches) is a rigid copper pipe. It resides inside what looks to be a galvanized pipe, which has outside threads to accept the large nut which fastens the assembly from the underside of the console.

I was able to get some KROIL to drain down between the copper and galvanized by turning the assembly upside down. Two days later, the KROIL seems to have had no positive effect.

it looks like the steering shaft (copper) is meant to be driven out of the galvanized pipe from the bottom, but I dare not try that because it will surely ruin the threads on the bottom, which accepts the nut to hold the cable pulley in place.

[READERS: please offer] any [advice on how to unlock the frozen helm.]

—ken
Last edited by faithie999 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MarkCz

Re: Wire Rope Steering Locked-up

Postby MarkCz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm

I had a 13-footer with [wire rope and] pulley steering.

Many people remove these helms to update the steering to a Teleflex-type mechanical cable system.

If you can not loosen up the helm, you may be able to find a used helm for sale.

faithie999

Postby faithie999 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 pm

[T]hanks for the quick reply. [O]ther than eBay, where should I look for a used helm?

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Post a notice of wanted-to-buy in MARKETPLACE to solicit sellers of old wire rope and pulley helms.

Or, search MARKETPLACE for one for-sale,

Or, search the web for one.

Or, leave the helm as-is for a buyer to remedy or replace.

To break apart dissimilar metals that have corroded together try plenty of penetrating oil and some careful heating.

If you can get the helm out of the boat you might be able to immerse it for a prolonged soaking.

The original wire rope and pulley steering is sometimes sought after by some Boston Whaler buyers as preferred for a correct restoration. If you follow the advice to replace with mechanical steering, keep all the parts from the OEM gear intact—they should have value.

faithie999

Postby faithie999 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks. I have the helm removed from the console. I'm at our summer house without proper tools. I'll take this home with me and work on it for a while. I just noticed that the plastic cowling on the bottom of the steering wheel interferes partway around with the copper cowling. Removing the interference didn't help but that leads me to believe that the steering column has gotten bent somewhere in time, causing the binding. The binding is more pronounced at some spots when I rotate the wheel 360 degrees.

Soaking it in a tall tube of penetrating oil is a good idea.

Thanks
Last edited by faithie999 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.