E-TEC 200 Air in Oil Lines

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
padrefigure

E-TEC 200 Air in Oil Lines

Postby padrefigure » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 am

On my 1984 Outrage 22, I recently changed the inline oil filter on the front of my 2010 E-TEC 200-HP engine during routine maintenance. I took the boat out for a test run and it idled fine, but after about a minute on plane, I got a "NO OIL" alarm.

I have a remote oil tank located in the console. I pumped the oil line bulb but it was full and hard. Not wanting to risk a no oil condition, I idled back to my slip.

If I perform the winterizing procedure (full throttle start up, wait for system check lights to go out, reduce throttle to idle, wait for system check flashing lights to stop, full throttle again until shut down--all in neutral) will that assure that the oiling system has purged any air pocket and re-primed?

Any other suggestions on how to proceed?

jimh

Re: E-TEC 200 Air in Oil Lines

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 pm

The E-TEC engine employs a sensor in the oil line on the output of the oil displacement pump that detects flow of oil. A NO OIL condition is signaled when a certain number of oil pump operations fail to produce any detection of oil at the sensor. As you suggest, there is very like air in the oil line. The air was introduced when you opened the oil line at the filter—but I a bit confused about an “in-line oil filter” on the engine. I don’t recall that filter.

Assuming there is an in-line oil filter, the air got into the system there. If the filter is upstream of the displacement pump, you can open the clamp on the hose at the filter and use the primer bulb to push oil to that point, expelling any air. That should get most of the air out.

The winterize procedure will force the oil pump to operate much more frequently than normal, and it should displace oil, pushing the air toward the cylinders. If

The oil lines are clear (on some models) and you can see oil and air bubbles moving in the lines.

Observe the oil lines (if they are clear on your engine) for evidence of air and movement of the air toward the cylinders and crankcase outlets.

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:17 pm

The filter is part number 5004958 and is on the oil line coming from the remote tank to the oil pump. It is show as item 23 on this diagram.

oil filter.PNG
oil filter.PNG (103.43 KiB) Viewed 5650 times

dtmackey

Re: E-TEC 200

Postby dtmackey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:18 am

You must have the "small block" 2.6L E-TEC which has a filter. It is important to note the the arrow on the filter is installed AGAINST the flow of oil otherwise it will develop vaccum bubbles and throw an alarm. This seems counterintuitive, but the Evrinde manual and service bullietins state this installation practive for this exact reason.

Happy boating.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am

DTMACKEY--very interesting information. I have the larger V6 3.3-lter E-TEC. It has an in-line oil filter, too, but I never noticed it before this mentioning of it. But there is no direction arrow on that oil filter.

We really don't explicitly know which V6 200-HP is under discussion here, but from the illustration above we can infer it is the smaller 2.6-liter V6 model.

When doing your own repairs or maintenance on an expensive outboard engine, having the factory service manual is a very good investment. The cost is less than $90 and the manuals are really very well-written and extensively illustrated documents.

Here is the OEM diagram for the smaller V6 200-HP with the direction arrow shown on the in-line oil filter:

E-TECV6_2.6L_OilDiagram_.png
Fig. 1. Oil hose routing diagram for 2010 model year E-TEC 200 V6 2.6-liter
E-TECV6_2.6L_OilDiagram_.png (58.59 KiB) Viewed 5591 times

The factory manual notes:

IMPORTANT: 60° Models – Arrow on oil filter faces incoming oil.

The service manual also notes:

Oil Priming
The oiling system of the outboard must be primed:
  • When the outboard is first installed.
  • Whenever the oil supply to the oil lift pump is disconnected or disrupted
  • Whenever an oiling system component is removed or replaced.

Refer to Oil Supply Priming on p. 70.

[From page 70'}

Oil Hose Priming
Insert the end of the oil supply hose (from the oil tank) into a suitable container. Squeeze the oil primer bulb to flow oil from the oil
tank. Once oil flow is observed, connect the oil tank hose to the outboard’s oil supply hose and secure with Oetiker clamp.

Oil Distribution Manifold Priming
Squeeze the oil primer bulb to flow oil from the hose connection, through the filter, to the oil pump. Visually inspect filter to ensure that all air has
been purged.

IMPORTANT: 60° Models – Arrow on oil filter faces incoming oil.

Continue squeezing the primer until oil flows through the distribution manifold into the oil distribution
hoses and to the crankcase fittings. All air must be eliminated from oil lines. Use Evinrude Diagnostics software to make sure the EMM is programmed for the type of oil being used. Start the outboard and use the oil priming function in the software for a minimum of 90 seconds to make sure the system is completely primed.

Observe oil flow through the oil distribution hoses.

Make sure that oil flows through the rear oil distribution
manifold to the cylinder block fittings.

Small bubbles are acceptable. Large bubbles must be eliminated through continued priming.

IMPORTANT: All clear “blue” oil distribution hoses on the powerhead should fill with oil as the air is purged from the lines.

Repair any fuel or oil leaks.

The oiling system can also be primed using the Self-Winterizing feature if diagnostics software is not available. Refer to STORAGE on p. 96.

drewread

Postby drewread » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 pm

dtmackey wrote:You must have the "small block" 2.6L E-TEC which has a filter. It is important to note the the arrow on the filter is installed AGAINST the flow of oil otherwise it will develop vaccum bubbles and throw an alarm. This seems counterintuitive, but the Evrinde manual and service bullietins state this installation practive for this exact reason.

I just finished installing new in-line and in-tank oil filters on my twin 2007 E-TEC 115 engines. The new filters are different than the old ones, and the installation guide states that the arrow now goes in the direction of oil flow. I only figured this out on my second engine and it cost me a pair of Oeitker clips when I had to remove it and install it in the proper orientation..

You will recognize the newer filter as it is skinnier and comes with a new (smaller) plastic retaining clip.

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 am

Indeed I do have the 2.6-liter E-TEC V6 200-HP engine, and the new oil filter kit was smaller as noted in posts above. I performed the winterizing procedure with the boat in the water and noticed a tiny wisp of smoke in the last phase before the motor shut itself down. I gave the engine a few seconds rest and started back up. Then I idled to the [Intracoastal Water Way] and ran a 10 mile loop without alarms or other alerts. All seems to be well now--thanks for your comments and suggestions.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 pm

drewread wrote:I just finished installing new in-line and in-tank oil filters on my twin 2007 E-TEC 115 engines.

The 115-HP engine is built on a 1.7-liter V4 block, not the 2.6-liter V6 block. But the oil flow diagram in my 2010 service manual does show the orientation of the in-line oil-filter as being installed with the arrow opposing the flow of oil direction.

drewread wrote:The new filters are different than the old ones, and the installation guide states that the arrow now goes in the direction of oil flow.

Thanks for that very interesting and very important information about the change in orientation of the new in-line oil filter component. Apparently Evinrude must have changed that part at some time during the manufacturing epoch of these engines, or replaced the original in-line oil filter part with a new part that does not need the unusual arrow-opposed-to-flow-direction installation.

What was the part number on the new in-line oil filter?

I checked on the great Evinrude part website SHOP2.EVINRUDE.COM, and I noticed that the oil filter is listed as part number "5004958 OIL FILTER" but the availability column says "CALL YOUR DEALER."

drewread

Postby drewread » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 pm

jimh wrote:
What was the part number on the new in-line oil filter?

I checked on the great Evinrude part website SHOP2.EVINRUDE.COM, and I noticed that the oil filter is listed as part number "5004958 OIL FILTER" but the availability column says "CALL YOUR DEALER."

The part number from my invoice is: 5011891